cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saunier-D sacks ricco AND Piepoli

Reports are that piepoli is sacked as well as Ricco. As I specualted the other day, the whole team may be dirty. Wacthing those two guys fly up Hautacam while Ricoo sat on comfrotably in the lead chase certainly made me wonder and that it did is sort of sad, but there you are.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008...l08/jul18news4
Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

and that is the unfortunate thing. Nothing incredible seems genuine anymore. Should I be questioning Cavendish now? I mean usually it is not the sprinters but...

EDIT* I know Columbia has their own testing, so it makes it less likely. Also a good friend of mine has a good friend of his on their B squad. This friend says the owner of the team is very anti doping. So, all signs point to Cavendish being clean.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "

Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 07-18-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That is three stage wins in this year's tour having been caught doping. Three of 11. Anyone who says they have cleaned up their act is blind. Cycling is dirty and no amount of pointing the finger at baseball or whatever will change that fact. Cycling is dirty. Ignore all the distractions thrown up by that fact. Cycling is dirty.

Very impressive math, although you fail to point out two of the wins were by one guy and all three are from one team. But hey, who's counting? Oh, that's right, you were.

Go back and look very, very carefully at the posts on cycling just from this year's Tdf. Then tell me how many of them claimed that no one was using drugs in cycling. Really, I cahllenge you to find one that says cycling is completely clean. If you can't, then what is your point other htna to be tedious and to try to resurrect somethign that you mysteriously let drop the other day after it was pointed out you were wrong about Pettite?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

cycling is now completely clean.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:45 AM   #5
creekster

Quote:
First Pettite took HGH as prescribed by a MD while he was not playing baseball. If you have a problem with this you are a brain dead luddite who thinks injured athletes today must be locked in cages and wait for their bodies to heal naturally. So I wasn't wrong about Pettite.

And there you go with the pointing fingers again. As long as cycling's best defense is to say "Look at the dirt on the other guys" you will lose every time.

And I never said anyone claimed no one in cycling used drugs. I just said cycling is still a dirty doping sport where performances by athletes cannot be trusted to be honest and fair. This is true whether you attack Pettite or me or bark at the moon all night long. As of July 2008 cycling is a dirty sport where results cannot be trusted. Period. That is all I am saying. Reread it a few times before you go off all emotional on me. I think, if you are honest, you will agree.

The why is an interesting question. I think doping is endemic and unavoidable in cycling because what they ask of riders is insane and impossible. Your main events (the tours) are like running a marathon every day for a month (with a few 10 mile sprints thrown in). And you make them run these marathons over mountains. It is just insane.

You want to clean up cycling? It would be easy. Give the riders a rest day in between every stage of the tour. Make what you ask of them actually reasonable and maybe they will stop using illegal medical aids to recover. Just a thought.
First, I was not "all emotional" on you.

Second, you still have the facts wrong about Pettite. Lok it up.

Third, I wasn't pointing at baseball to compare to cycling, but trying to understand why, once again, you seem unable to address the topic of the thread but instead delve into an anti cycling rant. I speculated that it was because you were unhappy how the discussion had gone the other day. Based on your reaction here, I was right.

Fourth, you are making a comparison by asserting that the sport is dirty and so can't be trusted. Compared to what? ANd off we go.

Finally, you want to rant about drugs in cycling, how about starting your own thread and stop polluting mine?

Finally number two, I repent of engaging you at this level (but not fully, so I will leave this post) and will not do so again.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:07 AM   #6
creekster

Quote:
I'm sorry. I thought your post was about three Tour stage wins being found out as drug cheats and being tossed from the sport.

And I didn't realize that trust was comparative. Wow.
Wow.

Ahh, my favorite argument, and really, what can I say?

Wow.

I am very wowed by your wow.

Wow.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
First Pettite took HGH as prescribed by a MD while he was not playing baseball. If you have a problem with this you are a brain dead luddite who thinks injured athletes today must be locked in cages and wait for their bodies to heal naturally. So I wasn't wrong about Pettite.
Prescribed by an M.D. but administered by Brian McNamee? I doubt it. Look, Pettite is more honest about this than you are, read an article. He approached Brian McNamee about using HGH to heal. He claims he took it twice but then felt guilty about it and stopped. McNamee backed up his two times story.

Since there is NO VALID and commercially available test for HGH nobody can be busted unless they are fingered by their source. That is the only way any player has been nailed for HGH and only Clemens was stupid enough to totally deny using after being named, and making it a he said/he said affair. Every other pitcher or player that's been fingered seems to be smart enough to use the same story Pettite used. Forgive us if we have our doubts about the veracity of Petitte's story. It's just than when every player has the same story (I took it a couple of times to heal) you have your doubts.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It isn't my thing so I'll just bow out here and stay out of the cycling category.
Smartest thing you've said in this category.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "

Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 07-21-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote