cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default The Flying Scotsman

I realize that this is a movie review and technically should be in the Artsy Fartsy forum, but really how many people even care about this movie.

I caught it on Netflix a couple of weeks ago. Overall I thought it was a decent movie. Graham Obrea's story was a fascinating one, complete with the highs of holding the world one-hour record and world champion in the track pursuit, to his battle with major depression.

I was not into cycling at the time (early 90's) and in fact was out of touch with the world at the time on a mission, so the whole story was new to me. It just blows me away that he or anyone could average something like 34 mph for an entire hour. (Someone other than Quisquyeno, that is.)

The cycling technique was almost laughable, but that was my only real complaint. That, and the fact that the camera quality was such that it had the appearance of being filmed in the early 80's right alongside Chariots of Fire.

Its worth a rent.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I realize that this is a movie review and technically should be in the Artsy Fartsy forum, but really how many people even care about this movie.

I caught it on Netflix a couple of weeks ago. Overall I thought it was a decent movie. Graham Obrea's story was a fascinating one, complete with the highs of holding the world one-hour record and world champion in the track pursuit, to his battle with major depression.

I was not into cycling at the time (early 90's) and in fact was out of touch with the world at the time on a mission, so the whole story was new to me. It just blows me away that he or anyone could average something like 34 mph for an entire hour. (Someone other than Quisquyeno, that is.)

The cycling technique was almost laughable, but that was my only real complaint. That, and the fact that the camera quality was such that it had the appearance of being filmed in the early 80's right alongside Chariots of Fire.

Its worth a rent.
I liked the film a lot and have posted about it somewhere here before. What about the technique did you think was laughable?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I really didn't see anything real goofy with his technique. His riding position was unique but that was part of the reason he was so fast.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I really didn't see anything real goofy with his technique. His riding position was unique but that was part of the reason he was so fast.

I was curioys if BG thought the riding posiiton was silly (as it was pretty accurate; that's how he set up his bike) or if there was something else he noticed that was bad.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I liked the film a lot and have posted about it somewhere here before. What about the technique did you think was laughable?
While Johnny Miller was very convincing as the man Obrea, I was not convinced in the least that he was a professional, let alone an avid cyclist. I know it wasn't necessarily a technical movie, but with all of the emphasis today on form, technique and aerodynamics, it was less than convincing to see a chicken-legged actor with a lot of excess upper body and trunk movement playing a velodrome world champ.

I liked the movie, probably more than I actually stated in my first post.

Right now my biggest concern is how to get this french dip sandwich into this tiny tupperware container with the Oh Juice in it.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
creekster

Quote:
While Johnny Miller was very convincing as the man Obrea, I was not convinced in the least that he was a professional, let alone an avid cyclist. I know it wasn't necessarily a technical movie, but with all of the emphasis today on form, technique and aerodynamics, it was less than convincing to see a chicken-legged actor with a lot of excess upper body and trunk movement playing a velodrome world champ.

I liked the movie, probably more than I actually stated in my first post.

Right now my biggest concern is how to get this french dip sandwich into this tiny tupperware container with the Oh Juice in it.
Look at thisd picture of Graeme:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ts/1751154.stm

Not exactly that different than the guy in the movie, althoguh i see your point. The actor was not a pro bike rider, no doubt, but it is still a good flick and at least 8,000 times better than Sex in the City. Heck, Obree's bike is better looking than SJParker.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
bluegoose

Quote:
Look at thisd picture of Graeme:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ts/1751154.stm

Not exactly that different than the guy in the movie, althoguh i see your point. The actor was not a pro bike rider, no doubt, but it is still a good flick and at least 8,000 times better than Sex in the City. Heck, Obree's bike is better looking than SJParker.
FYI, I got the sandwich in the container and the Oh Juice is no more.

I see what you mean. He definitely does not have the thunder thighs of some of the track guys that I've seen in the past.

I was also a little disappointed that they didn't have any actual interviews or even pictures of Obrea as special features on the DVD.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
creekster

Quote:
FYI, I got the sandwich in the container and the Oh Juice is no more.

I see what you mean. He definitely does not have the thunder thighs of some of the track guys that I've seen in the past.

I was also a little disappointed that they didn't have any actual interviews or even pictures of Obrea as special features on the DVD.
Remember the hour record was held by Merckx for many years (another reason is is the greatest).

Good job on the sandwich. It is Au Jus (o ghoo with the g being soft) by the way.
Obree wasn't really a trackie, AFAIK, I think he was just a weird dude that rode hard and had a good aerodynmaic idea that suited him and worked well on the track.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
bluegoose

Quote:
Good job on the sandwich. It is Au Jus (o ghoo with the g being soft) by the way.
My dad served his mission in Belgium about a decade before the good Uncle Ralph. The two things he brought back from his mission to our dinner table were French Crepes and Au Jus. I don't know if they are authentic French cuisine, but even if we didn't touch any of the food on our plates, we were sure as heck going to pronounce the name right, by golly.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
creekster

Quote:
My dad served his mission in Belgium about a decade before the good Uncle Ralph. The two things he brought back from his mission to our dinner table were French Crepes and Au Jus. I don't know if they are authentic French cuisine, but even if we didn't touch any of the food on our plates, we were sure as heck going to pronounce the name right, by golly.

Got it. You are surrounded by former temporary 'giques, BTW. ALong with your dad and uncle Ralph, I also lived in Belgium for a couple of years when I was in High School.