cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
El Paso Coug

El Paso Coug
Default I read the 1999 Handbook of Instructions

cover to cover within the last few weeks. What is amazing to me is that the LDS Church is run on a very, very detailed scale. There are procedures for every aspect of Church leadership operations. Micromanagement is a very fair word.

For example, read the section on funerals. You wouldn't think that there would be that much guidance on this topic and funerals are not something that a Bishop deals with that often. Nevertheless, every aspect of a funeral service is regulated. Funeral shouldn't last more than an hour and a half. When the casket can be open and closed. Which songs are allowed. No video or slide shows. Don't focus on the decedent, but instead focus on the gospel in all talks.

Bishoprics, Stake Presidencies and High Counselors really don't have that much leeway as to what they are supposed to do. Sure, there are a lot of areas where leaders are to use their best judgment, but the level of regulation and structure is shocking. I kept asking myself: Would the Lord's only true church really need to be micromanaged to this degree?

Just my thoughts.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paso Coug View Post
cover to cover within the last few weeks. What is amazing to me is that the LDS Church is run on a very, very detailed scale. There are procedures for every aspect of Church leadership operations. Micromanagement is a very fair word.

For example, read the section on funerals. You wouldn't think that there would be that much guidance on this topic and funerals are not something that a Bishop deals with that often. Nevertheless, every aspect of a funeral service is regulated. Funeral shouldn't last more than an hour and a half. When the casket can be open and closed. Which songs are allowed. No video or slide shows. Don't focus on the decedent, but instead focus on the gospel in all talks.

Bishoprics, Stake Presidencies and High Counselors really don't have that much leeway as to what they are supposed to do. Sure, there are a lot of areas where leaders are to use their best judgment, but the level of regulation and structure is shocking. I kept asking myself: Would the Lord's only true church really need to be micromanaged to this degree?

Just my thoughts.
I don't think you are a honest questioner, but I will answer your question anyway.

It's because they are tired of answering questions.

It's because someone who has been bishop for one month doesn't really know what to do.

It's because we don't have a bishop training center in Provo where Bishops go for one month.

It's because the church wants all its wards regulated and run in similar manners.

etc, etc. I'm sorry that reading the handbook damaged what little testimony you have, but that was pretty predictable that would respond that way.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, I bet El Paso, that you will be the one most upset when your bishop strays from the handbook. Just a prediction.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Don't focus on the decedent, but instead focus on the gospel in all talks.
I think this part is despicable. That's not too strong a word. For me the uplifting part of a funeral is a celebration of the deceden't life.

Contrast the micromanagement to the total vacuum the LDS Church has become in terms of doctrine, and the banality of any discussion of its past.

Big Brother. Newspeak, etc.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #15
El Paso Coug

El Paso Coug
Default You paint me as some apostate . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't think you are a honest questioner, but I will answer your question anyway.

It's because they are tired of answering questions.

It's because someone who has been bishop for one month doesn't really know what to do.

It's because we don't have a bishop training center in Provo where Bishops go for one month.

It's because the church wants all its wards regulated and run in similar manners.

etc, etc. I'm sorry that reading the handbook damaged what little testimony you have, but that was pretty predictable that would respond that way.
who is pretending to act innocently. Sure, I've made it clear that I have very serious doubts about the truthfulness of Joseph Smith and the restoration. However, that doesn't mean that I've left the Church or think most people here are brainwashed. Reading the Handbook didn't weaken my testimony. I was just surprised at how regulated Church operations are. I would be very surprised if any other church had a handbook that was as detailed as the LDS Handbook is. However, I could be wrong.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #16
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I think this part is despicable. That's not too strong a word. For me the uplifting part of a funeral is a celebration of the deceden't life.
Completely agree. I can understand the notion of wanting to provide some comforting words about redemption and the plan of salvation but to try and limit the talks about the deceased is pretty deplorable. Many bishops stray from that counsel and thank goodness that they do.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Just my thoughts.

Our ward has had three funerals in the last year. Another ward in our building has had more than 25 in the last three years. If you are a new bishop and someone dies a very detailed description of what to do is a great comfort, I assure you.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #18
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

Contrast the micromanagement to the total vacuum the LDS Church has become in terms of doctrine, and the banality of any discussion of its past.

Big Brother. Newspeak, etc.
No kidding... I will put in my funeral that will NOT be any gospel talks. I want a roast or at least a service where people tell funny stories and good memories they had with me.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Completely agree. I can understand the notion of wanting to provide some comforting words about redemption and the plan of salvation but to try and limit the talks about the deceased is pretty deplorable. Many bishops stray from that counsel and thank goodness that they do.

This sort of criticism is exactly why the church prefers not to have the HOI published for the public. Each funeral is different and each family's needs are different. The intro to the HOI points out that all actions should be guided by the spirit and so what actually happens on the ground is frequently differnet htan the exact description in the HOI.

You guys are looking for an excuse to be overwrought, it seems. You should join our discusision about the refs from the Jazz game alst night.

SU, despicable is far too strong of a word, and you know it. That you feel the need to defend it shows your consiciousness of your overreaching.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #20
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
No kidding... I will put in my funeral that will NOT be any gospel talks. I want a roast or at least a service where people tell funny stories and good memories they had with me.
You act like people would come to your funeral.

I guess the big attraction to having an LDS funeral is that it's free. Shell out the bucks for a funeral home, and I'll bet you can do whatever you want.