cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default The story on Craig Jessop

His departure has a facinating story. Jessop used to report directly to President Hinckley. Following Hinckley's death, President Monson decided that too many people reported directly to him, including Jessop, so he had them report to an intermediary (probably good governance).

I can't confirm for certain, but I am reasonably confident that Jessop was asked to report to President Packer.

The week before Jessop quit, the choir had three black soloists perform during its broadcast in a bit of a revivalist theme. That was on a Sunday. On Thursday, Jessop told a small group of the choir that they would need to meet for a special practice on Saturday morning. On Friday, Jessop was told to meet with the person he reports to. That meeting clearly did not go well.

On Saturday, Jessop never showed up for practice. On Sunday, he didn't show up for the choir's 8 am practice prior to the broadcast. He also didn't show up at 9 am for the broadcast (and it was his turn to conduct for the week). Nobody heard from him on Monday.

On Tuesday, the choir held practice, and he showed up, walked straight up to the stand, read his resignation letter, and walked straight off. On Wednesday, all references to Jessop were removed from the choir's website.

I have heard that the Friday conversation involved a discussion about how the choir should only sing songs that were written by Mormon's "inspired of the Lord." It could have been precipitated by the Sunday performance of a gospel variety.

Since the new conductor took over, the choir, almost without exception, has performed only church hymns. This is a big issue with Pres. Packer, so it would confirm my suspicion that he is the intermediary Jessop met with.

If so, it is sad. Mormons may have the gift of the Holy Ghost, but to act like they have a monopoly on inspiration is naive and insulting.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Where did you hear this?

If true, that is a very sad story.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

If you can't even confirm who the conversation was with, how are we supposed to believe what the topic was?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Where did you hear this?

If true, that is a very sad story.
Someone who definitely knows, and wouldn't say who the contact person is (though they know for certain too) because they didn't want that person to look bad.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Does Jessop have the guts to tell his story? If he tells his story will he be excommunicated, if it is like you said?

If your story is true, I can only imagine how upset Elder Packer must be with Gladys Knight.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Someone who definitely knows, and wouldn't say who the contact person is (though they know for certain too) because they didn't want that person to look bad.
Well, given the circumstances surrounding the resignation, your story sounds consistent with everything I have heard.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
His departure has a facinating story. Jessop used to report directly to President Hinckley. Following Hinckley's death, President Monson decided that too many people reported directly to him, including Jessop, so he had them report to an intermediary (probably good governance).

I can't confirm for certain, but I am reasonably confident that Jessop was asked to report to President Packer.

The week before Jessop quit, the choir had three black soloists perform during its broadcast in a bit of a revivalist theme. That was on a Sunday. On Thursday, Jessop told a small group of the choir that they would need to meet for a special practice on Saturday morning. On Friday, Jessop was told to meet with the person he reports to. That meeting clearly did not go well.

On Saturday, Jessop never showed up for practice. On Sunday, he didn't show up for the choir's 8 am practice prior to the broadcast. He also didn't show up at 9 am for the broadcast (and it was his turn to conduct for the week). Nobody heard from him on Monday.

On Tuesday, the choir held practice, and he showed up, walked straight up to the stand, read his resignation letter, and walked straight off. On Wednesday, all references to Jessop were removed from the choir's website.

I have heard that the Friday conversation involved a discussion about how the choir should only sing songs that were written by Mormon's "inspired of the Lord." It could have been precipitated by the Sunday performance of a gospel variety.

Since the new conductor took over, the choir, almost without exception, has performed only church hymns. This is a big issue with Pres. Packer, so it would confirm my suspicion that he is the intermediary Jessop met with.

If so, it is sad. Mormons may have the gift of the Holy Ghost, but to act like they have a monopoly on inspiration is naive and insulting.
I agree with you.

Jessop's behavior, if as you described (not showing up for practices and a performance without prior notification) though, is dissapointing. Better to check one's ego at the door.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

This post is so replete with conjecture and speculation, my head is shaking involuntarily, and it isn't that I am plagued with Parkinson's desease.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Does Jessop have the guts to tell his story? If he tells his story will he be excommunicated, if it is like you said?

If your story is true, I can only imagine how upset Elder Packer must be with Gladys Knight.
Again, it is my belief it was Elder Packer. I can't confirm it. I don't see how Jessop would be excommunicated for revealing what happened (that would be a travesty). But he certainly wouldn't be popular. I don't think he will say anything public, from what I heard.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If he doesn't want to say anything in public, then I'm not going to feel sorry for him, based on rumor and conjecture. MoTab isn't/wasn't that good anyway.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote