cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
none of those comments are offensive. That is unless, of course, you are a fool.

The comments might be ridiculous, they might be unintentionally comedic, they might be ignorant, but they most certainly aren't offensive - that is unless one makes the conscious decision to take offense and I'm not sure why anybody would choose to do that.
Yeah, I guess someone could have said that about Mein Kampf before Hitler became Chancellor of Germany and got in a position to do some real property damage and bodily injury. What's so offensive about a little hate speech between ignoramuses? Not much different than a circle jerk. Makes sense.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #22
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why? Because I choose not to be offended by them? It's actually quite nice to live life without having to worry about being offended by what others say. If that makes me foolish, so be it.
It seems to me that one should be able to recognize a comment as offensive without actually being offended. Otherwise, you would feel no restraint in parroting any of that nonsense.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #23
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why? Because I choose not to be offended by them? It's actually quite nice to live life without having to worry about being offended by what others say. If that makes me foolish, so be it.
You are officially a racist. Not necessarily an aggressive "hate" racist--but a racist all the same.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #24
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Yeah, I guess someone could have said that about Mein Kampf before Hitler became Chancellor of Germany and got in a position to do some real property damage and bodily injury. What's so offensive about a little hate speech between ignoramuses? Not much different than a circle jerk. Makes sense.

Hey if you choose to take offense, that's your problem. I'm not going to let some ignorant comments made by some dude 125 years ago offend me. It simply isn't worth it.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
You are officially a racist. Not necessarily an aggressive "hate" racist--but a racist all the same.
LOL. The racists are the ones that keep trying to race bait by rehashing old quotes like this time and time again.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #26
smokymountainrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
It seems to me that one should be able to recognize a comment as offensive without actually being offended. Otherwise, you would feel no restraint in parroting any of that nonsense.
I would feel restraint because so many of those comments are either incorrect, senseless, ignorant, worthless, etc - they also might offend some weak-minded individuals.

Those would be some of the many reasons I would "feel restraint in parroting any of that nonsense".
Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #27
smokymountainrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
that comment is just about as laughable as those made by BY, Mark Peterson, McConkie, etc.

Laughable, ignorant, stupid - but certainly not offensive. But nice try.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #28
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Those quotes are not merely lapses of manners. They do not simply evidence a lack of tact. They assert (im)moral notions and thus may be justly subjected to indignation.

Your lightmindedness regarding them is unbecoming.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #29
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Obviously one can choose not to be offended by something, but like Woot brought up that doesn't make a comment un-offensive. I'm not easily offended but much either, but I can't understand how a black or an American Indian or homosexual would feel about those comments.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #30
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would feel restraint because so many of those comments are either incorrect, senseless, ignorant, worthless, etc - they also might offend some weak-minded individuals.

Those would be some of the many reasons I wouldn't "feel restraint in parroting any of that nonsense".
So you're not offended by ignorance, falsity, senselessness, worthlessness, stupidity, racism, sexism, hypocrisy, etc? If you saw a televised broadcast of the Tanners talking about how evil Mormons are you wouldn't be offended? You have a strange concept of what it means to be offended.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote