cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
The Legacy ward in Henderson, NV had a lot of unorthodox songs when I was there...I suspect it is still that way.

When sister Knight wants to sing...you don't question her!
Sister Knight has a stake and multi stake choir that embraces ethnicity, including African American culture, Polynesian culture and some latin culture. She has actually been called to it, and other members have toured nationally with the choir. It is enlightening to listen to, and I understand its direction has come from Salt Lake.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

who do we always depict angels with trumpets, but then ban them from our churches?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys are being a little quick to judge the bishop based on what I see here. He might be in error, but he might also be considering other factors that Req or the CD are unaware of. IMO, if there are no other issues to be considered, he should allow the music. If I were in your shoes (and I sort of have been at times as a former CD that liked to do my own arrangements and used a variety of ensembles to accompany the choir, including a brass quartet, which certainly woke up the hearing aid crowd, if you know what I mean) I would do the following:

1. talk to the bishop privately to express what you have expressed here. I would also talk to someone else in the bishopric first to gather a little intelligence about whether their are any issues that you need to allow for in trying to overcome his attitude. The exec. secty is frequently good for this sort of thing, or perhaps a sympathetic counselor.

2. If #1 fails, go to the SP. You are bright enough to focus on the fellowshipping issues and not the music. Don't attack the bishop, present the alternative as an alternative and ask for advice on how to work with the bishop to avoid losing good converts.

Whatever you do, take it easy on the bishop, as I am sure he is trying to do his best under the circumstances. IT is a lot harder than it looks, I assure you.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #14
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I am often asked to accompany choirs and vocalists for sacrament meetings and firesides in the DC area. For the past two weeks, I worked with a phenomenal ward choir that meets in Alexandria to prepare a special number for a Mission President's homecoming held yesterday. Three weeks ago, the choir director and I received permission from the first counselor (bishop was on vacation) to perform a Mack Wilberg arrangement of the negro spiritual, "Deep River", at this special sacrament meeting. This is the same arrangement performed on Sunday mornings and recorded by the Tabernacle Choir.

What makes this particular choir extraordinary is that the director and nine of the members are African American converts. The director is well qualified - she has a degree in choral conducting and is known for her ability to produce award winning choirs from inner-city high schools. This ward choir is well known in the area and sings often at regional and stake meetings.

After two weeks of rehearsing, the choir was well prepared (talk about a terrific bass section!) and looking forward to performing this highly spiritual number. Yesterday as we were rehearsing in the chapel, the bishop walks in, interrupts the song, and asks to speak to the director and myself.

We went into the bishop's office and he summarily told us this number was not appropriate, we were not to perform it, and instead he wanted us to sing "Come Come Ye Saints" with no rehearsal. He pointed to the handbook on his desk and informed us that "only hymns from the book are acceptable". Being a part-time musician, I politely reminded him there was a published letter from the First Presidency that clarified the policy to include performing "appropriate" music outside the hymn book (which is terribly outdated). He glared at me and essentially dismissed us.

Long story short, the choir director and I walked back into the chapel in tears and she announced the change. After a moment of painful silence, the entire choir quietly stood and left the chapel. None returned for sacrament meeting. I accompanied a dull hymn as a rest song. After the meeting, the MP's wife asked about the choir. I told her what transpired, and she simply replied: "the bishop was wrong".

Last evening the choir director called me at home and calmly said she could no longer serve and was questioning her membership. She went on to make a great point: the church converts African Americans and other members from diverse cultures, yet expects them to abandon their deep seated cultural practices to become "white shirted clones". She believes that mainstream Mormons have no understanding how hurtful and difficult this is. She (and I) believe there is not a "true" or correct culture and the church must be more tolerant if they are to maintain any semblance of continuity among ethnic converts.

The scriptures are clear that music represents "the purest form of worship". In one display of arrogance and unrighteous dominion, this bishop alienated an entire segment of his ward. The AA choir members and their families will never return, but he can be happy with the delusion that "he is right".

Am I wrong to be so upset? Whatever happened to "gentleness, meekness and love unfeined"? What value did the church bring to the lives of these people?
I would have been crying too. What a disappointment. Like others said, I'd take the choir director to the S.P and voice your concerns.

I was recently called to the ward music chairman, and have been trying to come up with music that is uplifting, but out of the norm. I would love to have the resources and talent you had. I think my bishop would back me up on it.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:57 PM   #15
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
You guys are being a little quick to judge the bishop based on what I see here. He might be in error, but he might also be considering other factors that Req or the CD are unaware of. IMO, if there are no other issues to be considered, he should allow the music. If I were in your shoes (and I sort of have been at times as a former CD that liked to do my own arrangements and used a variety of ensembles to accompany the choir, including a brass quartet, which certainly woke up the hearing aid crowd, if you know what I mean) I would do the following:

1. talk to the bishop privately to express what you have expressed here. I would also talk to someone else in the bishopric first to gather a little intelligence about whether their are any issues that you need to allow for in trying to overcome his attitude. The exec. secty is frequently good for this sort of thing, or perhaps a sympathetic counselor.

2. If #1 fails, go to the SP. You are bright enough to focus on the fellowshipping issues and not the music. Don't attack the bishop, present the alternative as an alternative and ask for advice on how to work with the bishop to avoid losing good converts.

Whatever you do, take it easy on the bishop, as I am sure he is trying to do his best under the circumstances. IT is a lot harder than it looks, I assure you.

Good luck.
whatever all bishops are jerks who abuse their authority
Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #16
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Sister Knight has a stake and multi stake choir that embraces ethnicity, including African American culture, Polynesian culture and some latin culture. She has actually been called to it, and other members have toured nationally with the choir. It is enlightening to listen to, and I understand its direction has come from Salt Lake.
Best meetings I ever attended there were ones where she and her choir sang...simply incredible.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Creekster, I thought Requiem already provided policy correction to the Bishop which was summarily rejected.

I think going to the Bishop is a good idea. But the problem is you get "thanks for bringing this up. I'll take care of it."

THen two weeks later, nothing has happened.

Then what?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

If you desire Sister Knight's stake president's number, I'd be happy to forward it, as he's mine as well.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:02 PM   #19
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I concur with the general sentiment. Talk to the bishop first, and let him know that the members have been deeply offended to the point of shaking their testimony, and with all due respect to one who may have more information than you (as well as a very heavy burden), that you have the intention of taking it up with the Stake President if an agreeable solution cannot be reached by talking with the bishop himself.

There's obedience to priesthood authority, and there's fighting on behalf of the members-- especially the minorities. Paul did the same thing on behalf of the gentile saints when he chewed out Peter for discriminating against them; what's more, Peter acquiesced.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:03 PM   #20
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I am blessed to be in a very musically progressive ward. We have had brass quartets, trumpet solos, baritone solos, string quartets, violin and viola solos, ensembles of varying compositions including my favorite, which was classical guitar, vibraphone, violin and electric bass guitar and synthesizer. With few exceptions, all of these performances have enhanced the value of our meeting. Not everyone agreed, however, and the feelings of those that dislike this approach should be considered. It is always a balancing act in the church.