cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road
Default Of Converts, Choirs and Misguided Bishops

I am often asked to accompany choirs and vocalists for sacrament meetings and firesides in the DC area. For the past two weeks, I worked with a phenomenal ward choir that meets in Alexandria to prepare a special number for a Mission President's homecoming held yesterday. Three weeks ago, the choir director and I received permission from the first counselor (bishop was on vacation) to perform a Mack Wilberg arrangement of the negro spiritual, "Deep River", at this special sacrament meeting. This is the same arrangement performed on Sunday mornings and recorded by the Tabernacle Choir.

What makes this particular choir extraordinary is that the director and nine of the members are African American converts. The director is well qualified - she has a degree in choral conducting and is known for her ability to produce award winning choirs from inner-city high schools. This ward choir is well known in the area and sings often at regional and stake meetings.

After two weeks of rehearsing, the choir was well prepared (talk about a terrific bass section!) and looking forward to performing this highly spiritual number. Yesterday as we were rehearsing in the chapel, the bishop walks in, interrupts the song, and asks to speak to the director and myself.

We went into the bishop's office and he summarily told us this number was not appropriate, we were not to perform it, and instead he wanted us to sing "Come Come Ye Saints" with no rehearsal. He pointed to the handbook on his desk and informed us that "only hymns from the book are acceptable". Being a part-time musician, I politely reminded him there was a published letter from the First Presidency that clarified the policy to include performing "appropriate" music outside the hymn book (which is terribly outdated). He glared at me and essentially dismissed us.

Long story short, the choir director and I walked back into the chapel in tears and she announced the change. After a moment of painful silence, the entire choir quietly stood and left the chapel. None returned for sacrament meeting. I accompanied a dull hymn as a rest song. After the meeting, the MP's wife asked about the choir. I told her what transpired, and she simply replied: "the bishop was wrong".

Last evening the choir director called me at home and calmly said she could no longer serve and was questioning her membership. She went on to make a great point: the church converts African Americans and other members from diverse cultures, yet expects them to abandon their deep seated cultural practices to become "white shirted clones". She believes that mainstream Mormons have no understanding how hurtful and difficult this is. She (and I) believe there is not a "true" or correct culture and the church must be more tolerant if they are to maintain any semblance of continuity among ethnic converts.

The scriptures are clear that music represents "the purest form of worship". In one display of arrogance and unrighteous dominion, this bishop alienated an entire segment of his ward. The AA choir members and their families will never return, but he can be happy with the delusion that "he is right".

Am I wrong to be so upset? Whatever happened to "gentleness, meekness and love unfeined"? What value did the church bring to the lives of these people?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I am often asked to accompany choirs and vocalists for sacrament meetings and firesides in the DC area. For the past two weeks, I worked with a phenomenal ward choir that meets in Alexandria to prepare a special number for a Mission President's homecoming held yesterday. Three weeks ago, the choir director and I received permission from the first counselor (bishop was on vacation) to perform a Mack Wilberg arrangement of the negro spiritual, "Deep River", at this special sacrament meeting. This is the same arrangement performed on Sunday mornings and recorded by the Tabernacle Choir.

What makes this particular choir extraordinary is that the director and nine of the members are African American converts. The director is well qualified - she has a degree in choral conducting and is known for her ability to produce award winning choirs from inner-city high schools. This ward choir is well known in the area and sings often at regional and stake meetings.

After two weeks of rehearsing, the choir was well prepared (talk about a terrific bass section!) and looking forward to performing this highly spiritual number. Yesterday as we were rehearsing in the chapel, the bishop walks in, interrupts the song, and asks to speak to the director and myself.

We went into the bishop's office and he summarily told us this number was not appropriate, we were not to perform it, and instead he wanted us to sing "Come Come Ye Saints" with no rehearsal. He pointed to the handbook on his desk and informed us that "only hymns from the book are acceptable". Being a part-time musician, I politely reminded him there was a published letter from the First Presidency that clarified the policy to include performing "appropriate" music outside the hymn book (which is terribly outdated). He glared at me and essentially dismissed us.

Long story short, the choir director and I walked back into the chapel in tears and she announced the change. After a moment of painful silence, the entire choir quietly stood and left the chapel. None returned for sacrament meeting. I accompanied a dull hymn as a rest song. After the meeting, the MP's wife asked about the choir. I told her what transpired, and she simply replied: "the bishop was wrong".

Last evening the choir director called me at home and calmly said she could no longer serve and was questioning her membership. She went on to make a great point: the church converts African Americans and other members from diverse cultures, yet expects them to abandon their deep seated cultural practices to become "white shirted clones". She believes that mainstream Mormons have no understanding how hurtful and difficult this is. She (and I) believe there is not a "true" or correct culture and the church must be more tolerant if they are to maintain any semblance of continuity among ethnic converts.

The scriptures are clear that music represents "the purest form of worship". In one display of arrogance and unrighteous dominion, this bishop alienated an entire segment of his ward. The AA choir members and their families will never return, but he can be happy with the delusion that "he is right".

Am I wrong to be so upset? Whatever happened to "gentleness, meekness and love unfeined"? What value did the church bring to the lives of these people?
Speak to the Stake President as the bishop is in error on this matter. I would get to him immediately so that it doesn't escalate.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Speak to the Stake President as the bishop is in error on this matter. I would get to him immediately so that it doesn't escalate.
I thought about this and even pondered writing a letter to Salt Lake City. My fear is that the SP would be obligated to support the bishop and the discussion would evolve into a "supporting the Priesthood" lecture.

But you make a good point - should I invite the choir director to attend?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Good idea.

Another case of white intermountain culture lording over all other cultures. The church has tried to limit this, but not been very successful.

I can't stand the music at church. For exactly these sorts of reasons.

The same hymns every time, some EFY bull#$#, or some solo recital piece that has no spiritual context (although if well done, I enjoy the latter).

We need to broaden the allowed instrumentation. If you play classical guitar and want to play a christian christmas number, go for it!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Wow. What a sad story. I am with Archaea on this one. Go to the S.P. and raise some hell.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Good idea.

Another case of white intermountain culture lording over all other cultures. The church has tried to limit this, but not been very successful.

I can't stand the music at church. For exactly these sorts of reasons.

The same hymns every time, some EFY bull#$#, or some solo recital piece that has no spiritual context (although if well done, I enjoy the latter).

We need to broaden the allowed instrumentation. If you play classical guitar and want to play a christian christmas number, go for it!
Your points are absolutely right on! The issue should be the quality and spiritual nature of the music. In many cases guitars, french horns, flutes, etc. simply enhance the spirit. I have seen bishops even forbid violins accompanying choirs.

The problems with the current hymn book are many. Wards typically sing only 10% of the content and some of the old standards (e.g. "Come Thou Font of Every Blessing") were deleted. If you want to see a great hymnal, walk into any Lutheran congregation. I am sure the Baptists also have a better selection.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Tradition replaces authentic experience.

It's an old sad story, and I think we ought to guard against it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

The Legacy ward in Henderson, NV had a lot of unorthodox songs when I was there...I suspect it is still that way.

When sister Knight wants to sing...you don't question her!
Old 07-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I thought about this and even pondered writing a letter to Salt Lake City. My fear is that the SP would be obligated to support the bishop and the discussion would evolve into a "supporting the Priesthood" lecture.

But you make a good point - should I invite the choir director to attend?
Yes I would. You have to step up on a matter such as this, in a culture endeavoring to diversify.

The bishop is wrong as to the policy. And if the Stake President can't recognize it, take it to his superior. Do it in a respectful way, but you seem to have a duty to speak up for those not represented. Plus, the bishop doesn't know the correct policy and somebody in the chain of command. I would not delay as other members may have already had their feelings hurt over a matter that should be uplifting, not denigrating because somebody has no sense of musical edification. Just don't demonize the bishop, but make certain the SP knows you're trying to do what's best for the congregation on a sticky issue.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

that reminds me of a missionary companion whose family had prepared to sing amazing grace at his farewell (they were one of those musical von trapp families). His bishop nixed it.

Think of that... Amazing grace what is wrong with that song?