cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #91
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Like I said before, I don't have a dog in this fight -- I just like watching the fall-out. I never said GC was bad, though I haven't watched it in a long time. You shouldn't be so defensive. I actually like TooBlue a lot. He's an artist, and I have a lot of respect for that. I do think he must have a lot of inner conflict, though, being so artistic and yet being so close-minded. He spends a great deal of time making arguments that I don't think he really believes. He reminds me of myself when I was younger.
We all have inner conflict -I'm no different, and it's a good thing. It means I am alive, thinking, living and not merely an automaton.

I make arguments as a way to flesh out what I really believe -often I purposely act the part of contrarian. However, I have beliefs that I am passionate about and I am exceptionally consistent in espousing them.

Last edited by tooblue; 10-07-2007 at 10:20 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #92
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
That's a cop out -come on, let's bloody our knuckles.
By the way, your only recourse is an appeal to faith also
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #93
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My problem is this: why aren't men told more forcefully that fatherhood is their most noble calling?

Perhaps because it isn't?

If fatherhood was the most noble calling, what do we say of those who sacrifice it in performing time-consuming callings?

I would be interested to hear a talk about how men shouldn't trade material gain (working 80 hours a week in a big law firm) for time with their family.

I'll probably be waiting a long time.
I think someone already referred to this, but Elder Oaks, in probably my favorite talk of conference (at least that I was awake for), talked a lot about these exact things. Don't work too much, and don't spend too much time in your callings. Spend it with your family.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #94
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would be interested to hear a talk about how men shouldn't trade material gain (working 80 hours a week in a big law firm) for time with their family.

I'll probably be waiting a long time.
From today's priesthood lesson:

"The husband’s choice of occupation, his social life, his friends, his every interest must now be considered in the light that he is only a part of a family, that the totalness of the group must be considered.

Husbands, come home—body, spirit, mind, loyalties, interests, and affections—and love your companion in an holy and unbreakable relationship."

http://lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg/me...ontentLocale=0

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 AM   #95
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My problem is this: why aren't men told more forcefully that fatherhood is their most noble calling?
I've come way late to this one (we didn't watch GC, we went with the wife's family to outdoor Mass and fall festival instead--we'll catch up on GC via BYU-TV and I already know my wife will love Sister Beck's talk; I mean it, she will love it).

Mike, sometimes I think we are members of entirely different churches. I see this as a constant theme being driven into my brain. It's what my father modeled for me. It's what I teach and hope I am modeling for my sons and daughters.

Mass was actually pretty good. The homily was on, among other things, being good parents. Go figure. The festival was okay; the highlight was playing bingo. I almost won a DVR. The lowlight was the Guatemalan tamales.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:30 AM   #96
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I've come way late to this one (we didn't watch GC, we went with the wife's family to outdoor Mass and fall festival instead--we'll catch up on GC via BYU-TV and I already know my wife will love Sister Beck's talk; I mean it, she will love it).

Mike, sometimes I think we are members of entirely different churches. I see this as a constant theme being driven into my brain. It's what my father modeled for me. It's what I teach and hope I am modeling for my sons and daughters.

Mass was actually pretty good. The homily was on, among other things, being good parents. Go figure. The festival was okay; the highlight was playing bingo. I almost won a DVR. The lowlight was the Guatemalan tamales.
I know that the man who is always gone at work is not judged the same way as the woman who works in a professional job. Maybe my experience is the outlier.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:51 AM   #97
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I know that the man who is always gone at work is not judged the same way as the woman who works in a professional job. Maybe my experience is the outlier.
Perhaps, but that's not what you said and what I responded to.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote