cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Real Salt Lake stadium deal dead?

The Debt Review Committee said they don't believe RSL is a viable organization and, therefore, funding the stadium is a bad idea.

I sincerely hope this isn't the end of the road for RSL and their quest for a stadium. The city is losing a lot without RSL getting its stadium.

SLC may lose a lot, too. If RSL gets the Sandy stadium, downtown SLC will get an arts district (which it DESPERATELY needs). I have a hard time believing that RSL is not viable. I also have a hard time believing they can only book 6 concerts per YEAR at a new stadium (as the Debt Review Committee claimed). That would be one concert every 9 weeks, on average. If it is a nice venue, it should do much better than that.

I am hoping Caroon goes against the Debt Review Committee and supports the stadium. It will bring in a ton of tax dollars, revitalize that area in Sandy, and bring an arts district to downtown SLC.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
The Debt Review Committee said they don't believe RSL is a viable organization and, therefore, funding the stadium is a bad idea.

I sincerely hope this isn't the end of the road for RSL and their quest for a stadium. The city is losing a lot without RSL getting its stadium.

SLC may lose a lot, too. If RSL gets the Sandy stadium, downtown SLC will get an arts district (which it DESPERATELY needs). I have a hard time believing that RSL is not viable. I also have a hard time believing they can only book 6 concerts per YEAR at a new stadium (as the Debt Review Committee claimed). That would be one concert every 9 weeks, on average. If it is a nice venue, it should do much better than that.

I am hoping Caroon goes against the Debt Review Committee and supports the stadium. It will bring in a ton of tax dollars, revitalize that area in Sandy, and bring an arts district to downtown SLC.
I don't think RSL is viable. I don't think the MLS is viable though either. As far as concerts go I think that's a reasonable number for them to expect. How many shows does USANA Ampiheatre book a year? As an outdoor venue in Utah you're limited as it is with Fall and Winter.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:46 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I don't think RSL is viable. I don't think the MLS is viable though either. As far as concerts go I think that's a reasonable number for them to expect. How many shows does USANA Ampiheatre book a year? As an outdoor venue in Utah you're limited as it is with Fall and Winter.
Not too mention there are lots of other concert venues during those months to compete against.

E-Center, Delta Center, Usana Amphitheater, McKay Events Center, Dee Events Center, not to mention the umpteenth other Amphitheaters around the state. I saw Ryan Shupe & the Rubberband at the Sandy Amphitheater last year.

I hope RSL can stay, but I won't be sad if they leave.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 02-02-2007 at 07:39 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

It is not officially dead, the Salt Lake County Mayor has the final say now. I guess it depends on what will get him re-elected.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Surfah
Master

This deal is dead. Geneva site being considered now if Checketts will sell to Anderson Geneva. That may be the only way to keep RSL in Utah.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This deal is dead. Geneva site being considered now if Checketts will sell to Anderson Geneva. That may be the only way to keep RSL in Utah.
Yep, it's dead. My understanding is that there is a group or individual in St. Louis that is interested in buying RSL.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #7
Cali Coug

According to the Trib this morning, some group in St Louis is working hard to get the team moved there, but the legislature is now contemplating funding the stadium directly. I hope the latter happens and the team stays.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Yep, it's dead. My understanding is that there is a group or individual in St. Louis that is interested in buying RSL.
If I were Checketts I'd sell. He purchased it for only $10 million. He could make $5-10 million on the sale I am sure. DC United sold for $33 million. Bigger market and championships but still, there is money to be made for sure if he wants.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
According to the Trib this morning, some group in St Louis is working hard to get the team moved there, but the legislature is now contemplating funding the stadium directly. I hope the latter happens and the team stays.
I thought that the legislature was only pushing that if Checketts wanted it and as of Tuesday Checketts didn't want to go that route. Was this part of the hotel tax issue?

I know the owner of Anderson Geneva was trying to contact Checketts people without any answer. He was quoted as having the money and land to make it work. I don't know that Checketts would sell locally though.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #10
Cali Coug

Quote:
I thought that the legislature was only pushing that if Checketts wanted it and as of Tuesday Checketts didn't want to go that route. Was this part of the hotel tax issue?

I know the owner of Anderson Geneva was trying to contact Checketts people without any answer. He was quoted as having the money and land to make it work. I don't know that Checketts would sell locally though.
According to both the Trib and the D-News today, it is a very real possibility.