cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 01:34 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The fragile psyche of the Utah Jazz

Is there a more mentally weak team than the Jazz? AK is literally crying about playing time while his shooting touch makes Greg Ostertag look like Jeff Hornacek. Memo hasn't played well since his child was born a month ago. Williams and Boozer have played well at times, but too inconsistent. Fisher is doing his best Rusty LaRue imitation, only at a 30 min/game clip. Larry Miller is doing his monthly kick dirt in the teams face and then apologize routine.

I have been a supporter of Sloan, but it seems like he is intentionally sabotaging the playoffs. His rotations have been horrible and inconsistent. He refuses to guard the perimeter. Worst of all, his defensive answer to Tracy McGrady was Derek Fisher! I am seriously pissed at the way this team has been behaving, from top to bottom. The play has been uninspired and there are no leaders in the entire organization. It will be a miracle if they can pull this series off.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:28 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's too bad. The Jazz could be like the Suns. But they are like the Suns if every Sun was depressed.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:49 AM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

As a lifelong Jazz fan, sadly I agree. Right now they are mentally weak and seem to have little resolve.

Since the All-Star break and the birth of his baby Memo has pretty much gone limp.

Boozer seems interested only about half the time. One play he'll be aggressive and do that sweet left handed dunk. The next play he'll have NO ONE in front of him and pull up for a 10 footer jumper. I don't get his passive/aggressive approach.

AK mentally seems to have basically just lost it altogether right now. I feel bad for the guy.

Deron is the piston that fires the engine, but has been playing with a bad groin for 2 months now.

Giricek is finally playing just like Sloan wants him too, providing instant offense and aggressive defense,,and yet Sloan dicks with him mentally by leaving him on the bench almost the entire 2nd half.

Derek Fisher....I simply cringe every time he shoots the ball.

Paul Millsap is an animal. Everytime he's in the game the energy and aggression level of the team rises.

Matt Harpring played tough too. In terms of mental toughness he's the only one on the team right now willing to knock someone on their ass.

The Jazz simply aren't a tough team. The 1st half yesterday they played tough minded. The 2nd half they turned into the team resembled that last month of the season. Soft, mentally weak, and when taking a punch...basically saying....."Slap me again Ike and this time put some stank on it!"

I love Coach Sloan, but it seems the players have tuned him out. I think he's been the most under appreciated coach of the past 15 years, but the only thing I've always disagreed with him on is his defensive philosophy when it comes to defending the 3 point line. He absolutely just refuses to do it. Sloan has got to be more frustrated than any of them cause he's the type of guy that demands you go out and knock someone down ,,,,but very few seem to be responding to his demand for physical basketball.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 04-23-2007 at 02:51 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:10 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
... Sloan has got to be more frustrated than any of them cause he's the type of guy that demands you go out and knock someone down ,,,,but very few seem to be responding to his demand for physical basketball.
That's now what the Rockets were saying on Friday. Van Gundy was griping about how the Jazz are too physical and McGrady was complaining that he and his teammates would have to play more physically.

My attempt at figuring this out is that this is a team with very few players who have ever been in the playoffs and other than Fisher, those who have, don't have a lot of playoff experience and it was mentioned during the broadcast that Fisher has the lowest shooting percentage of all the NBA players in games played in the Toyota Center. That counters his experience, if you believe in crap like that.

This is just a team that is too inconsistent to win this series. On the bright side, the sooner the Jazz are out, the sooner I'll stop watching the playoffs. For me as a Jazz fan, there is no reason to watch the NBA post season if Utah isn't there.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote