cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Soccer offsides

One of my biggest peeves is soccer pussies being self-righteous about soccer.

Soccer is a great sport and doesn't need soccer pussies to defend it against the "ignorant" masses.

The offsides rule is not so perfect it never should be challenged.

There are some rules I would change in basketball. If I don't like all the free throw shooting, it doesn't mean I'm ignorant and have never played the game to understand the intricacies of why it's important to stop the action every 30 seconds to watch a man shoot two unguarded 15 ft shots that take about two minutes to complete.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

How about this: team gets the option of two freethrows, or one freethrow and the ball.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
How about this: team gets the option of two freethrows, or one freethrow and the ball.
Here's what I like: all fouls = automatic two points except for the last two minutes of the game. It would reduce fouling as well, keeping the stars in the game more, and reducing the overly physical play that can sometimes make the game unwatchable.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Here's what I like: all fouls = automatic two points except for the last two minutes of the game. It would reduce fouling as well, keeping the stars in the game more, and reducing the overly physical play that can sometimes make the game unwatchable.
That wouldnt work with how liberal fouls are called, and with the star treatment given to a lot of players.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
bad idea. because you couldn't award the points to a player putting the ball through the net.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
That wouldnt work with how liberal fouls are called, and with the star treatment given to a lot of players.
It would force the game to evolve into less physical D or less liberal officiating. With free throw shooting at 80%, it's not like those two issues aren't already problems.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
jay santos

Quote:
bad idea. because you couldn't award the points to a player putting the ball through the net.
Have all players shoot 10 free throws before the game. That percentage will be applied during the game?

All I know is that free throw shooting has become so boring to me that I can barely watch an NBA game anymore.

edit: p.s. but thanks for not calling me a moron.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
jay santos

If you:

think offsides is a perfect rule
think Americans who don't like the offsides rule are ignorant about soccer
think there's nothing wrong with the yellow card/red card rules in World Cup
think deciding a game 1-0 on a PK on a flop in the box is a vital part of the game
call a soccer field a pitch and use other British English vocabulary blindly as applied to the sport
actually believe most kids on Utah high school soccer teams are great athletes

YOU MIGHT BE A SOCCER PUSSY
Old 05-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Have all players shoot 10 free throws before the game. That percentage will be applied during the game?

All I know is that free throw shooting has become so boring to me that I can barely watch an NBA game anymore.

edit: p.s. but thanks for not calling me a moron.
No, have each team shoot free throws before the game. Each player shoots 30, on the offchance that someone would have gotten 30 freethrows in the game. Say I am fouled on a shot. They go to my two first freethrows that I shot before the game. If they were both good, then 2 points. If missed both, then 0 points. The other team does not know the free throw results of your team. But you do know.

That would make inbound plays at the end of games very itneresting, as they would only want to get the ball to players who had 2 made free throws in their queue.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
jay santos

Quote:
No, have each team shoot free throws before the game. Each player shoots 30, on the offchance that someone would have gotten 30 freethrows in the game. Say I am fouled on a shot. They go to my two first freethrows that I shot before the game. If they were both good, then 2 points. If missed both, then 0 points. The other team does not know the free throw results of your team. But you do know.

That would make inbound plays at the end of games very itneresting, as they would only want to get the ball to players who had 2 made free throws in their queue.
I know none of this is practical, but the free throw shooting aspect of the game is killing me as a fan.