cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 03-07-2006, 06:40 PM   #11
Iceman

Iceman
Send a message via MSN to Iceman
Default Great Book

I am about 3/4 done with this book and it is a great insight into the Prophet's life and the experiences that created the Man. I am not a big church historian, although I do enjoy it, so much of the things wrote about in this book were new to me, but increased my understanding of Joseph Smith immensely. So many of us revere him as almost a God on earth, when in reality, he was just a man who became a great man, but not before a learning curve. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would definately recommend it.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:30 PM   #12
Big Daddy D

Big Daddy D
Default Re: And Next???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I am through chapter 3 of the JS bio. So far so good--great background on the magical aspects of the Smith family.

I nominate for our next book "Adventures of a Church Historian" by Leonard Arrington.
FYI: Goatnapper is Arrington's grandson. His cousin is a neighbor of mine.. what a phenomenal family lineage.
Big Daddy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
I am about 3/4 done with this book and it is a great insight into the Prophet's life and the experiences that created the Man. I am not a big church historian, although I do enjoy it, so much of the things wrote about in this book were new to me, but increased my understanding of Joseph Smith immensely. So many of us revere him as almost a God on earth, when in reality, he was just a man who became a great man, but not before a learning curve. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would definately recommend it.

I don't know why, but I am having a hard time getting through this one. It feels very slow moving to me. I have learned a lot, though, about Joseph Smith. The book is very informational, just a bit tedious.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:38 AM   #14
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Has Bushman been the BOTBM long enough now?

I'm looking into getting a new church book and am open to any recommendations.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

27. Rodney Stark. Christianizing the Urban Empire: A New Approach to Early Church History. In preparation. 26. Victories of Reason: How Christianity, Freedom, and Capitalism Led to Western Success. New York: Random House. In Press. 25. The Rise of a New World Faith: Rodney Stark on Mormonism. Edited by Reid L. Neilson. University of Illinois Press. In Press.
Three nominations for the new book of the month. I guess the first is disqualified unless somebody can obtain an advanced copy. Number 25 might be worth the read.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:20 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Bushman's job is to tell the truth, as best he can. If he did that, then he shouldn't feel bad about anything.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:30 AM   #17
Archaea

If one tells the truth and undermines in the process something one finds valuable, I can understand why he might have some regrets.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:34 AM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

if you are scared of the truth, you shouldn't be in the business of history.

perhaps he regrets every having chosen Mormon history. I don't blame him.

But I have little sympathy if he wishes he had produced apologia.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:50 AM   #19
Archaea

Here's a challenge as you are still young: do something correct that still injures somebody.

A police officer may have to kill a citizen to execute his duty, but he will still feel badly about the death of the decedent.

A historian may write a necessary history, cause, inadvertently, some to lose their way, and still feel badly about that result.

We didn't exactly hear the speech, so we don't know how it was phrased. I have done many things which were necessary but still caused me sadness.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:23 AM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I was recently at a meeting with Joe Bentley, editor of Vol. 3 of the new Jos. Smith books being financed by Larry Miller (on early legal documents), where Bentley said that Bushman, while standing by every fact in his book, was sad that so many focused on the Prophet's failings and have been led astray by them. Apparently, many people have lost their testimonies over the book.

Bushman was writing mainly to a scholarly audience and left out many faithful interpretations and explainations for some of the sticky facts. If he were to redo the book, he would put in many of those faithful explainations to bolster faith. It appears that he is somewhat regretful of the impact of the book. Interesting.
Hmmm... So this is third hand at this point? Color me skeptical.