cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling

Old 11-02-2008, 04:18 AM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am not a cyclist, so I ask honestly...are there really cases of road rage against cyclists? What causes it? What do cyclists do that get drivers so upset?

I have passed groups on the road several times. I live in an area that has a decent amount of undeveloped land (at least for South County), so the main roads are not highly trafficked. I cant tell you how many times I have seen a group ride by....about 50 or so strong. I always think it looks cool because there are so many of them.

I just drive by them and go about my business.

Why do these other cars try to hit the riders?
If we understood it, maybe we could stop it. But for some reason, any inconvenience to some drivers causes road rage, and we cyclists just happen to be that inconvenience.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:20 AM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If we understood it, maybe we could stop it. But for some reason, any inconvenience to some drivers causes road rage, and we cyclists just happen to be that inconvenience.
Ok, I can get that, but what exactly is the inconvenience?

For example, do you take up the entire lane, thereby making it impossible or unsafe for a car to pass?

Even so, I don't see how it justifies mowing some cyclist over, but trying to get some context as to why a driver would get pissed at someone on a bike.

I like swerving aside when motorcyclists are coming to pass me....I like giving them space to pass me within the lane. The cool ones extend their hand out as they pass and give you the "thanks" sign. If they don't give me the wave, I get annoyed. But I dont run them over.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:26 AM   #23
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am not a cyclist, so I ask honestly...are there really cases of road rage against cyclists? What causes it? What do cyclists do that get drivers so upset?

I have passed groups on the road several times. I live in an area that has a decent amount of undeveloped land (at least for South County), so the main roads are not highly trafficked. I cant tell you how many times I have seen a group ride by....about 50 or so strong. I always think it looks cool because there are so many of them.

It's unexplainable DDD. All I can say is sometimes they are immature kids that try to pull a top gun and buzz the tower, thinking this is funny and then there is the stereotypical redneck that hates you because he is a racist, homophobic asshole who wants to destroy everything he doesn't understand. I don't know how else to explain it. but it is universal everywhere I have ridden.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:27 AM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ok, I can get that, but what exactly is the inconvenience?

For example, do you take up the entire lane, thereby making it impossible or unsafe for a car to pass?

Even so, I don't see how it justifies mowing some cyclist over, but trying to get some context as to why a driver would get pissed at someone on a bike.

I like swerving aside when motorcyclists are coming to pass me....I like giving them space to pass me within the lane. The cool ones extend their hand out as they pass and give you the "thanks" sign. If they don't give me the wave, I get annoyed. But I dont run them over.
By law in most states, you may only pass a cyclist after providing five to ten feet clearance, otherwise you might be cited for reckless driving and endangerment.

If you're a dumb redneck, and you must actually slow down while drinking your beer, it annoys you to not be able to run down some pencil neck, French loving cyclist. And if for some reason, one might not be able to exceed the speed limit by thirty miles per hour, it is a horrible inconvenience to come upon some cyclists.

It really is mindless hate. Cyclists usually do nothing but exist, and that is offensive to some drivers. Of course Tex believes cyclists should just take it, even if they are mowed down by a cop.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:47 AM   #25
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm lucky that I live in an area where there are miles and miles of empty roads and for the most part people are very friendly and curious to cyclist but about once a year I will have a truck full of teenage boys buzz me or throw something at me. I will always be riding alone and their will be nobody else around. Three kids in a 5000lb truck up against one person in lycra on a 17lb bike is not very brave. I don't worry about myself getting hit but I do worry about my son serving a mission getting hit. If their is an even bigger target then cyclist I would guess that two young men riding in suits would fit that bill.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:53 AM   #26
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Arch. I wish him a speedy recovery.

These kinds of stories are why I don't run on streets anymore, except for races. Only Parkways and trails. It's too bad cyclists don't have that same option.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:57 AM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

It's kids, it's rednecks and its people that might kick the dog or scream at other drivers and so forth, It is too bad, but I think in some areas it is getting better although in others it isn't
Old 11-02-2008, 05:01 AM   #28
FMCoug

FMCoug

If the dude purposely swerved and hit the cyclists, won't that be considered attempted murder / manslaughter / whatever?
Old 11-02-2008, 05:01 AM   #29
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I think in some areas it is getting better although in others it isn't
This line cracked me up.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #30
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
It's unexplainable DDD. All I can say is sometimes they are immature kids that try to pull a top gun and buzz the tower, thinking this is funny and then there is the stereotypical redneck that hates you because he is a racist, homophobic asshole who wants to destroy everything he doesn't understand. I don't know how else to explain it. but it is universal everywhere I have ridden.
Is there some kind of stereotype out there that cyclists are gay? I have never heard that before.

I think it was Archaea who posted an online petition for increased cycling awareness several months ago. I posted it on my local moms board, which is fairly large. I was mildly surprised by the responses I got. They said, sure, they are all for cycling safety, but the cyclists better make sure to do their part. They recounted incidents where the cyclists broke some kind of traffic rule. They surmised that some of the examples of cyclist bad behavior was due to the new influx of people riding to save on gas money. Of course, none of the women who responded were likely to mow down someone, but there was a little undercurrent of annoyance there that might escalate in someone else.

Archaea, I'm glad to hear your friend will recover, even if it is a slow one. My thoughts are with him and his family.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote