cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports

Old 12-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jimmer's NBA debut with the Kings

preseason game...was on NBATV last night. Some thoughts:

1. At the beginning of the game, Jimmer was doing a lot of deferring, not being aggressive.
2. As the game went on Jimmer started being more assertive, calling for his own pick and rolls and firing up shots. As you probably know, he scored 21 points which was tied for the most on the Kings roster.
3. Honestly, it's probably been years since I have seen the Kings, so I am not familiar with most of their players. Tyreke looks like a guy who can impressively get to the rim. He is in the style of Oklahoma's Westbrook, but not as good. I don't think he sees the court particularly well, despite having had 7 assists last night. But I think he had 5 turnovers as well. Drives into the lane sometimes with no place to go. I'm not sure that this is the best situation for Jimmer. Some believe that Tyreke will be able to kick to Jimmer, and Jimmer can help keep the defense honest. But I believe Jimmer will be best served playing the point himself. Not the 2. In fact, I thought the Kings played with better flow when Jimmer was playing the point I believe this will become apparent as the season goes on.
4. Jimmer's defense left a lot to be desired. He may have scored 21, but he probably gave up at least that many points it seemed. Then again, guarding Golden State's Monte Ellis and Steph Curry is not exactly easy. Jimmer was also paired against the GS small forward at times as well.
5. I believe Jimmer is going to turn a lot of heads this season, and score well. What I'm not sure about is the chemistry on this Kings team. Thornton is apparently known for being a shot-jacker, and he did not nothing to dispel that last night. Between Tyreke and Thornton, it's not apparent how many shot attempts are left for everyone else. I wonder if there might be a scenario where the Kings traded either Tyreke or Jimmer. Doubtful. It could be that Jimmer comes off the bench kind of like JJ Barrera did for the mavs this past season. Offensive fireplug at the point. So that Jimmer can handle the ball more.

It's going to be exciting. Very exciting.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

My basketball buddy that played small-time college ball, who bet me $50 equivalent that Jimmer would not be drafted by the NBA...this past week told me that Jimmer would not average more than 5ppg this season.

That's a bet I would feel pretty comfortable about. Maybe even a Mitt Romney sized bet. $10,000. Gonna teach my friend not to bet against Jimmer.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Jimmer with 12 points last night coming off the bench but playing starter-type minutes. Wasn't very aggressive. Mostly roaming the 3 point line and not going towards the rim on the dribble very much, nor coming off screens off the ball. Some pick and roll, usually with a double team ending up leading to him passing out. Adequate defensive performance.

Now the real deal starts. Directv has free NBA League pass at the beginning of the season, so if you have the chance, and have the interest, catch the games.