cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #51
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Well my true feelings about actuaries are expressed thusly,

An actuary is one who, if you're drowning in a pond twenty feet offshore will throw you an eleven foot rope and point out that he's meeting you MORE than half-way.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #52
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I predict that within the next 3 months he will "experience" a story that involves a member carrying a concealed weapon at church that saves the lives of untold dozens from some crazed mullah zealot who is upset with a Latino and African-American teen couple that refused to heed the counsel of SWK.
I am pretty sure he already shared an anecdote of someone he knows that protected his family with a firearm.

Listening to mikewaters's stories of crime and danger in his neighborhood is much like listening to Vanilla Ice rap about the dangers of living in Miami...especially when he is posting today about buying an electric scooter.

In fact, I think I am going to start calling mikewaters "Vanilla Ice."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #53
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Mike is making this story up? I don't really want to be an a-hole here, but Mike's been hitting this obscure quote from the manual for several weeks, and then, coincidentally enough, he happens to attend a lesson in which this was taught? In thirty years in the Church, I've never heard this quote, and I'd guess that most of us here haven't either.

Sorry, I don't buy it.
Have you taught YM's in the last 10 years? It's in the manual. Also Mike is the scoutmaster which means he may be the 2nd counselor in the YM presidency in his ward. Even if he's not, many wards have the Scoutmaster attend the deacons quorum lessons.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #54
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

An actuary is one who, if you're drowning in a pond twenty feet offshore will throw you an eleven foot rope and point out that he's meeting you MORE than half-way.
Dude! You are rolling here...keep these babies coming. I think we have discovered a hidden talent within you....anti-actuarial humor. Seriously, these are good ones.

How about this: An actuary is someone who brings a bomb onto a plane....because it decreases the chances that there will be another bomb on the plane.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #55
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

He will also point out to you why you're underinsured and how you failed to do a proper cost/benefit analysis regarding proper floatation devices and neglected to utilize sufficient risk management and that more people die each year from drowning than die from tornadoes, lightning and doing your homework combined.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #56
SteelBlue

Here it is. Took me all of 15 seconds to find it on the website. Manual 3 lesson 31

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.js...ontentLocale=0

Here's the quote if you're too busy to look:

Quote:
Compare the results of the vote with the following statement by President Spencer W. Kimball. Have a young man read it.
“We recommend that people marry those who are of the same racial background generally, and of somewhat the same economic and social and educational background (some of those are not an absolute necessity, but preferred), and above all, the same religious background, without question” (“Marriage and Divorce,” in 1976 Devotional Speeches of the Year [Provo: Brigham Young University Press, 1977], p. 144).
Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #57
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Here it is. Took me all of 15 seconds to find it on the website. Manual 3 lesson 31

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.js...ontentLocale=0

Here's the quote if you're too busy to look:
"Recommend... not an absolute necessity, but preferred"? Wow, that's pretty harshly stated.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #58
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

For those that suggest I am lying--my record of integrity speaks for itself.

I wish it wasn't true, I wish that the 2nd Counselor in the Bishopric didn't mention the offending line twice in the lesson, separated by about 10 minutes. I wish that he wasn't speaking to non-whites, save his son, the only white kid in the class.

I wish that priesthood teachers all over this country werent' faced with the question of whether to quote the prophet or not.

I've gone down the road of proper channels. Since I can't get a response there, I've gone down other roads as well. I have and am going public.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #59
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
"Recommend... not an absolute necessity, but preferred"? Wow, that's pretty harshly stated.
"some of those" leaves you wondering which one(s) are a necessity.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #60
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
For those that suggest I am lying--my record of integrity speaks for itself.

I wish it wasn't true, I wish that the 2nd Counselor in the Bishopric didn't mention the offending line twice in the lesson, separated by about 10 minutes. I wish that he wasn't speaking to non-whites, save his son, the only white kid in the class.

I wish that priesthood teachers all over this country werent' faced with the question of whether to quote the prophet or not.

I've gone down the road of proper channels. Since I can't get a response there, I've gone down other roads as well. I have and am going public.
I'm not sure if you're lying or if the lines between fantasy and reality have been seriously blurrred.