cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 04:11 AM   #11
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
While I will grant you that the Democrats have done poorly in articulating a message, I don't know why you are surprised that they have a "proven" interest in slamming the Bush administration. Republicans had a "proven" interest in slamming Clinton. Democrats had a "proven" interest in slamming Bush I and Reagan, and so on and so forth.

I also don't know why it is shocking that people who disagree with the Democratic platform are not nominated to represent the Democratic party. Would you be shocked to see a Republican in Utah not get a nomination if he supported abortion? Of course not.

Finally, in this particular instance, Democrats DID have a plan, you just didn't like it. Their plan was to give prisoners of war a fair hearing with a chance to defend themselves. They were absolutely right, by the way- on both legal and moral grounds.
The silver forked tongue continues......exactly what was their plan? lol.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:16 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

what about the 3 palestinian "terrorists" from Dallas, that were "planning" to blow up the bridge in Michigan.

I'll bet they wouldn't have much enjoyed incarceration without recourse and torture.

Especially since they weren't in any way involved with terrorism or doing anything illegal with the cell phones.

Civil liberties. They're actually worth something.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

Heaven forbid we get information from a terrorist through coersion that prevents a chemical, biological or nuclear attack on American soil.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #14
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
These terrorists deserve absolutely jack shit. Period. Anyone who defends their "rights" is empowering them.
Turn off your talk radio, get out of your trailer home, and read a book.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug
Turn off your talk radio, get out of your trailer home, and read a book.
That was your comeback? Gotta admit it was pithy, if not like a typical terrorist sympathizer.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #16
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That was your comeback? Gotta admit it was pithy, if not like a typical terrorist sympathizer.
My point was, you can use a little education on civics, the Constitution, and some of the ideals and liberties we're fighting to defend.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:17 PM   #17
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I look at it as being this is what makes America different. Yes, child molestors are evil. Yes, terrorists are evil. In other countries, those people would often be killed gruesomely right then and there. Our country is built on the backs of people who gave their lives to make our country different. We have laws and we have civil liberties. If we start ignoring the laws and we start taking away liberties, we become just another run of the mill country.

I am not advocating that we let people go or we make their lives easy...but I am saying that we can't start ignoring the laws that make this country great. We can't start taking away freedoms simply when we feel it serves our own purposes. To do this is well, unamerican.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #18
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug
My point was, you can use a little education on civics, the Constitution, and some of the ideals and liberties we're fighting to defend.
There's nothing you can teach me, disagree with me on yes,,,,teach me...lol.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:30 PM   #19
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
There's nothing you can teach me, disagree with me on yes,,,,teach me...lol.

Is that because you are incapable of learning?

:P

In answer to your previous question, in THIS situation, the Democrats plan all along has been to afford civil rights to the detainees. You are trying to conflate this scenario with a general plan for progressing in Iraq. Two different issues. On this they have a plan- even if you don't like it. In the war on Iraq, they don't have a consensus on any plan (much like Republicans).

Last edited by Cali Coug; 09-08-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:31 PM   #20
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar
I look at it as being this is what makes America different. Yes, child molestors are evil. Yes, terrorists are evil. In other countries, those people would often be killed gruesomely right then and there. Our country is built on the backs of people who gave their lives to make our country different. We have laws and we have civil liberties. If we start ignoring the laws and we start taking away liberties, we become just another run of the mill country.

I am not advocating that we let people go or we make their lives easy...but I am saying that we can't start ignoring the laws that make this country great. We can't start taking away freedoms simply when we feel it serves our own purposes. To do this is well, unamerican.

Exactly. Everyone keeps saying, "why shouldn't we be able to torture people? The terrorists don't play by any rules!"

Their absence of rules is exactly what we should be abhorring, NOT embracing. The answer isn't to become more like them, it is to reinforce more of what we are.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote