cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football

Old 11-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Option football? No, thank you. It's not a given that playing that way would lead to winning at BYU. The game has changed. It hasn't worked for a very long time at any school other than Navy or Air Force. Hasn't even worked at Army. Former Navy coaches have tried it at other schools with little success. Better for him to stay where he's at and take the pay raise. Better for BYU to go a different direction.
BYU might be a school that could make it work, but there would be bumps in the road that BYU's fanbase might not tolerate.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:16 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Option football? No, thank you. It's not a given that playing that way would lead to winning at BYU. The game has changed. It hasn't worked for a very long time at any school other than Navy or Air Force. Hasn't even worked at Army. Former Navy coaches have tried it at other schools with little success. Better for him to stay where he's at and take the pay raise. Better for BYU to go a different direction.
That guy is such a stud he could modify his game as needed. He's a super coach like Meyer; what he's done at Navy is astounding. If Whit left I would love him at Utah; in fact I'd advocate for him in any way I could. He's better than Texas's new coach; he's accomplished much more. I'm really glad BYU got Sitaki instead.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:31 PM   #13
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
That guy is such a stud he could modify his game as needed. He's a super coach like Meyer; what he's done at Navy is astounding. If Whit left I would love him at Utah; in fact I'd advocate for him in any way I could. He's better than Texas's new coach; he's accomplished much more. I'm really glad BYU got Sitaki instead.
8-4 and #32 in the sagarin this year is better than what you thought Sitake would do in his first year. If we played a QB who could throw even moderately well it could have been better than that.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
8-4 and #32 in the sagarin this year is better than what you thought Sitake would do in his first year. If we played a QB who could throw even moderately well it could have been better than that.
Yes, BYU has been better than I expected. But this is still Bronco's team. BYU players are unusually mature (they're older) and therefore disciplined, so I expect Bronco's good works to stick for a while. It's not unusual for a first year coach to have his best year that first year, e.g., Crowton. Let's what happens long term.

Regardless, Navy's coach would have been a home run hire. Waters, would BYU pay him less than Navy does? I think he didn't want to have BYU fans telling him to pass.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:09 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

for sure it would have been a pay cut for him to come to BYU. And for all his assistants.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:34 AM   #16
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
BYU might be a school that could make it work, but there would be bumps in the road that BYU's fanbase might not tolerate.
With missions it would take at least five years to make it work here. You're right no one would tolerate that, least of all the fans who post on boards like this. Maybe the super casual fans who don't really care what happens.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:08 AM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
With missions it would take at least five years to make it work here. You're right no one would tolerate that, least of all the fans who post on boards like this. Maybe the super casual fans who don't really care what happens.
Like the Board of Trustees.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:12 AM   #18
BlueK

Quote:
Like the Board of Trustees.
Ken N. was never offered. Let's not be ridiculous. The only thing that remotely made him a fit at BYU was his religion. Better to let him continue being who he is at Navy. It's possible for a really good coach not to be a good fit at a particular school. BYU recruiting to fit the triple option would be stupid and would waste even more LDS talent than we were under Bronco who thought the talent has to recruit BYU first or he wasn't even going to try. The system being put in place now is a great fit for what we can recruit well. We just happened to have the wrong type of QB for it this year.

Last edited by BlueK; 12-04-2016 at 03:23 AM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:58 AM   #19
Archaea

Quote:
Ken N. was never offered. Let's not be ridiculous. The only thing that remotely made him a fit at BYU was his religion. Better to let him continue being who he is at Navy. It's possible for a really good coach not to be a good fit at a particular school. BYU recruiting to fit the triple option would be stupid and would waste even more LDS talent than we were under Bronco who thought the talent has to recruit BYU first or he wasn't even going to try. The system being put in place now is a great fit for what we can recruit well. We just happened to have the wrong type of QB for it this year.
And a crappy defensive line.

And no offensive line.

And no receivers. And Cahoon, who can't coach.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:57 AM   #20
BlueK

Quote:
And a crappy defensive line.

And no offensive line.

And no receivers. And Cahoon, who can't coach.
Receivers irrelevant this year because Hill can't pass. They wouldn't have looked that bad with a QB who isn't an awful passer. Hill also made the line look worse than it was. No, I'm not a fan of running QB's who are terrible passers.