cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If you are LDS and want to adopt a healthy white infant

Is LDS social services the easiest and cheapest and fastest way to accomplish that?

The adoption scene is a marketplace, no doubt. If you are not white, if you are older, if you have handicaps, if your mother was a drug addict, etc. your value as a potential adoptee go way down.

If you were interested in adopting an older kid, say above 10, could you do that through LDS social services? What if you wanted to adopt a kid who is in foster care?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Is LDS social services the easiest and cheapest and fastest way to accomplish that?

The adoption scene is a marketplace, no doubt. If you are not white, if you are older, if you have handicaps, if your mother was a drug addict, etc. your value as a potential adoptee go way down.

If you were interested in adopting an older kid, say above 10, could you do that through LDS social services? What if you wanted to adopt a kid who is in foster care?
The Catholic services is pretty darn good. We almost adopted through that service.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Cheapest? Yes, in most cases.

Easiest, fastest? No way, although it depends on the adoptive parents. Some adoptions happen quickly, others have spent years and years and years on waiting lists.

My advice would be, if you have no children and the adoptive child would be your first, go through LDS Social Services and you'll probably have a child placed with you within 2 years (this assumes you are somewhat normal in intelligence and income).

If you already have a child or children go private and if you choose an agency wisely, it will be much faster than LDSSS.

If you want an older kid or a kid in foster care, I would go through government or government associated agencies. Adopting older kids is quick and cheap and older kids need love and good homes too.

However, I wouldn't adopt older kids if you already have kids unless they're all much older than the kid you'd adopt.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bright View Post
Cheapest? Yes, in most cases.

Easiest, fastest? No way, although it depends on the adoptive parents. Some adoptions happen quickly, others have spent years and years and years on waiting lists.

My advice would be, if you have no children and the adoptive child would be your first, go through LDS Social Services and you'll probably have a child placed with you within 2 years (this assumes you are somewhat normal in intelligence and income).

If you already have a child or children go private and if you choose an agency wisely, it will be much faster than LDSSS.

If you want an older kid or a kid in foster care, I would go through government or government associated agencies. Adopting older kids is quick and cheap and older kids need love and good homes too.

However, I wouldn't adopt older kids if you already have kids unless they're all much older than the kid you'd adopt.
Will LDSSS allow me to adopt a white infant if me and my wife aren't white?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
Burning Bright

Quote:
Will LDSSS allow me to adopt a white infant if me and my wife aren't white?

I don't see why not.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Burning Bright

Quote:
The adoption scene is a marketplace, no doubt.
You are absolutely right. They treat babies like commodities and I think that's wrong and it sucks. I also think it's not gonna change anytime soon.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If you want to adopt foster care kids go to this web site:
http://www.adoptuskids.org

Or check directly with your state Dept of Family and Protective Services or equivalent.

People willing to adopt older kids (pre-teens and teens) are really needed badly.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

We have a big contingent of adopters in my ward. They say that unless you are a young childless coupel that LDS social services is the last place to go. Not that they say it is bad, just not an option for most. These are all families that have adopted several children.

Anyway, they all swear by the Methodist equivalent. Our primary is full of kids that have come through that service.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Will LDS social services allow people of other faiths to adopt?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:41 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Just for kicks, I entered a search for Asian kids, any age, any state, but no developmental issues.

Only one in the country!

http://www.adoptuskids.org/child/Chi....aspx?id=26561