cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 04:03 AM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jeremy Guthrie former BYU/Stanford pitcher

http://www.miamiherald.com/590/story/44519.html

This kid was a neighbor of mine in Oregon. He pitched for BYU his freshman year and had an ok year. Transferred to Stanford after his mission and went to the College World Series finals twice, once as their ace. He signed with the Indians out of college and hasn't really done anything since. He did get a 4 million dollar signing bonus that set him up for life. Now it sounds like he might stick in Baltimore.

He is a great guy and I've always respected him for serving a mission. He got an offer from the Mets right out of high school that included a $500,000 signing bonus. They told him they wouldn't let him serve a mission, so he went to the Y. I really hope he gets his shot in Baltimore.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:08 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
http://www.miamiherald.com/590/story/44519.html

This kid was a neighbor of mine in Oregon. He pitched for BYU his freshman year and had an ok year. Transferred to Stanford after his mission and went to the College World Series finals twice, once as their ace. He signed with the Indians out of college and hasn't really done anything since. He did get a 4 million dollar signing bonus that set him up for life. Now it sounds like he might stick in Baltimore.

He is a great guy and I've always respected him for serving a mission. He got an offer from the Mets right out of high school that included a $500,000 signing bonus. They told him they wouldn't let him serve a mission, so he went to the Y. I really hope he gets his shot in Baltimore.
If he's a good pitcher, I want him in Baltimore too.

He sounds like a great kid. Hopefully he'll have a long and injury free career.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

His sister used to work with me. She was our receptionist, but ended up getting pregnant and never came back after the baby was born.

She said he never once wavered on serving a mission, he was being thrown all sorts of money and at one point a very close family member told him to take the money and he said that it would be there when he got back.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
His sister used to work with me. She was our receptionist, but ended up getting pregnant and never came back after the baby was born.

She said he never once wavered on serving a mission, he was being thrown all sorts of money and at one point a very close family member told him to take the money and he said that it would be there when he got back.
That's why I respect him so much. The money kept getting better. When he left on his mission he left about a million bucks on the table. He also was really a nobody on the baseball scene so it's not like it was guaranteed he'd be earning that money when he got home. When he got back he was a new man and developed into Stanford's ace. He made a lot more money by going on a mission. Probably one of the few, but it was great to see.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's why I respect him so much. The money kept getting better. When he left on his mission he left about a million bucks on the table. He also was really a nobody on the baseball scene so it's not like it was guaranteed he'd be earning that money when he got home. When he got back he was a new man and developed into Stanford's ace. He made a lot more money by going on a mission. Probably one of the few, but it was great to see.
Maybe he would have become an ace for the Mets. That would have been a lot more lucrative.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
Maybe he would have become an ace for the Mets. That would have been a lot more lucrative.
I don't know if he even had a winning record in HS. He could throw 95 mph and that's all anyone seemed to care about. It wasn't until he got to Stanford that he learned how to pitch.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:47 AM   #7
SteelBlue

Guthrie was solid tonight. Looks like he's earned at least another start.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?...&date=20070508
Old 05-14-2007, 03:22 AM   #8
SteelBlue

Poor Guthrie started against my Red Sox tonight. He pitched 8.1 innings, gave up 2 hits and no runs. He leaves the game up 5-0 needing only 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth. Boston scores 6 off the bullpen.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:39 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Poor Guthrie started against my Red Sox tonight. He pitched 8.1 innings, gave up 2 hits and no runs. He leaves the game up 5-0 needing only 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth. Boston scores 6 off the bullpen.
That was painful for me to watch. Guthrie did his part but the bullpen blows it. Orioles haven't had a decent bullpen in about 20 years.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Guthrie has allowed 2 earned runs in 24 1/3 innings over his last 3 starts. He seems to be coming on.