cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Home Teaching Suggestions Needed

Confession time: I struggle with home teaching. I don't mind going to visit the families, but I have a tough time preparing a thought/message. I have a hard time getting enthused about going over the first presidency message because my families have typically read it already and it seems like we are just going through the motions. The mother of one of my families actually groans sometimes when I pull out the Ensign.

I do like my families and I bring over a small gift and note whenever someone has a birthday. And in the summer I usually invite the families to a big BBQ at a local park. So I do try to have a variety of ways to interact with them. It's just that I struggle coming up with something interesting for a lesson.

Anyway, suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I have 5 families, and I only take a set message to 2 of them.

The other 3 families just love that my comp. and I come over once a month at visit with them and get an update on their lives.

The 3 families are extremely active and do their FHE. So it would be the Dept. of Redundency Dept. if I brought the message again.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Just read them a scripture on something that stuck out to you in the past little while. Then its easy, spiritual and fast. The idea behind home teaching is to find out how the family is doing and provide them with a little lift.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I also find it a bit redundant redundant to share a first presidency message with an active family. Thus, I usually don't do it unless I strongly suspect that they don't regularly read the Ensign.

If there are young kids in the family, I find that the parents really appreciate and enjoy a message directed toward the little ones. You can always conclude the lesson with an applicable thought or scripture on the same subject directed toward Mom and Dad. Dig up some old FHE lessons you've used with your kids (if you have any) and consider sharing it with your assigned families.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

When I'm teaching families that are active and already know the message I usually just prepare one brief thought that I had as a result of reading that message and share it. I don't even try to give the whole message as it's redundant and feels hokey.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

You can also try the option of asking the parents if there's anything they'd like to hear. I always thought that might be a cop out for when the parents don't want to discuss drugs or chicks or whatever, but it might lead to something else and maybe it's just something they need to hear.

Option 2) Belly dancing lessons are always a big hit.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #7
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I'm in a singles ward, so my perspective is obviously going to be a lot different, but my advice is not to bring a lesson at all. Go talk to your home teachees for a half hour. Spiritual matters tend to bring themselves up.

Our responsibility as home teachers is a lot less teaching and a lot more friendshipping. I wish that home teachers in my ward would realize that.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:33 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
I'm in a singles ward, so my perspective is obviously going to be a lot different, but my advice is not to bring a lesson at all. Go talk to your home teachees for a half hour. Spiritual matters tend to bring themselves up.

Our responsibility as home teachers is a lot less teaching and a lot more friendshipping. I wish that home teachers in my ward would realize that.
Hmmm.... I like that approach. Sometimes I feel like I am a slacker if I don't prepare something, but I need to get out of that mode of thinking. I definitely agree that the bonding/friendship part is MUCH more important.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote