cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 07:40 AM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jesus and the woman taken in adultery

Many people speculate that Jesus was married and one of the more popular names is that he was married to Mary Magdalene. Some are shocked because they have an image of him being so clean and her so dirty.

Well let me take it to the next level. Suppose his wife was the woman taken in adultery and dropped at his feet. Perhaps his inquiry of "where is thy husband" is what causes her to drop her head even more in shame.

As for the Jesus-haters in his day, why wouldn't they want to publicly humiliate him like that?

So this is my point: Jesus is the example of forgiveness, kindness and charity; suppose that was his wife.....think of how quick he was to forgive her, what an example that is for us.

Moreover, even if that woman wasn't his wife, it raises the idea....if his wife, although someone else, really did do the same thing....his reaction would have been the same. If her heart was truly sorry and was repenting, He would have been just as fast to forgive, correct?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Of course He would forgive. As we all should were we to find ourselves in a situation where a spouse was unfaithful.

What's your question?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
VAX77

VAX77

ute4ever, I tend to agree with you in what you are saying about Jesus forgiving and how great of an example of love and forgiveness would that be....How many of us would recommend one of our friends to marry someone they just met who had just comitted adultery????

I do not know if you would agree, but the church's stance, or at least the way things were taught, twenty or thirty years ago and possbily still today, was that although forgiveness was possible after adultery or fornication, you were still carrying a scarlet letter around to some degree, that the Lord could forgive you, but you still might not be worthy for a great RM or that it would be unfair to your spouse, etc. I do not know if you have come across similar teaching, but it was my perception..

Almost like Ezra T Bensens rafting video(or was it SWK's) and in some part he says masturbation often leads to the sin against nature or homosexuality....I was always confused about that one...
VAX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
fuegote

fuegote

Speaking from personal experience:

forgiveness of adultery is difficult (no i am not the adulterer). My dad cheated on my mother for 27 years. 27 years! They were married for 28. My mom stuck with it because she hoped he would change and also wanted us kids to have a father. Her sacrifice still amazes me.

However both she and her parents had a difficult time when I forgave my father and started having a relationship with him (communicate with him). She even changed the locks on our house so I wouldn’t have the key to the house anymore.

As time has passed, now all my brothers talk and visit with my dad. We were all at Kong together. Tell me two years ago that was possible and I would laugh in your face. My mom is now used to the fact that my dad will be at family parties.

She, with the help of her new husband, is beginning the see the blessing of the atonement not from the standpoint as it helps the sinner, but as it helps the victim become whole.

My poor grandmother still won’t forgive him.

Is he a member, no, but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s my dad and still a good person that Christ hasn’t given up on.

I think adultery is a valid reason to get a divorce for the mere fact that a serious breach in trust has been committed that can’t be healed. There will always be second guessing after that. That is no way to have a marriage.

My thoughts on forgiveness: It is required of all men to forgive. My litmus test: If you are unable to participate in any church ordinance with that person, (ie only the best of feelings….) you need to work on that relationship and reconcile those thoughts or you will be held accountable.