cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
fuegote

fuegote
Default Cyber predators

Friday night, my wife and I watched this Dateline special where a vigilantly group set up an operation to “catch” online child predators.

1. I was shocked to the point that I was almost in tears. How could all these men (and they were all men. 19 men in 3 days) do something like this. What in a person’s psyche makes them want to “love” a child like that? (when I say “love” I mean that in the worst way). I was sickened. A 50 year old ER doctor, a rabbi, two military guys, one special ed teacher… I was just amazed.
2. Why are kids in chat rooms on the internet? Granted more schools are putting their homework on the internet but why would a kid need to be in a chat room. Some of the conversations they were having were very VERY explicit (some included dogs….it was just sickening). I know the internet is a great tool but honestly, why do kids need to be on there as much as I see some 12 year olds and younger on there?

The whole show was an eye opener for my wife and I to how bad this problem is. Look at the Directory of sex offenders and see for yourself that the problem is a giant problem. Watching that show and watching SVU on a regular basis sure has put me in a state to second guess everyone.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I chatted on CB with exUte's daughter last night. But she is 18.

and it was purely platonic.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I chatted on CB with exUte's daughter last night. But she is 18.

and it was purely platonic.
well then it's consensual.

The show left me with a horrible feeling the rest of the weekend. that there are people like this...

sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick
Old 12-19-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cyber predators

I saw that report as well. The most striking thing was how "normal" most of them appeared. There was a Rabbi for goodness sake! School teachers etc... People you would generally trust automatically and who were (as far as anybody knew) upstanding people in society.

The only guy that looked like a sexual predator was the guy who was instructed to ditch his clothes before entering the home through the garage. There he was sitting naked in the kitchen when he was surprised by Dateline NBC cameras and an interviewer. He says "I've never done this before, I need help..." The very next day they get him online again and ask him to meet them at McDonalds and the idiot shows up. Frightening how stupid and perverted that guy was.

Watching that piece really hammered the point home that you don't really know anybody.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
fuegote

fuegote

The rabbi really sticks out to me as well. I remember that look of panic on his face when the cameras came out. He didn't say a word and yet you could see by his face and his hand pointing to his face that he had been caught and yes, his mug would now appear everywhere.

How about the military guy into animals :shock:

One question about the rabbi, if they live the law of moses still, isn't sex with a man against their religion as well?

Very scary stuff.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
One question about the rabbi, if they live the law of moses still, isn't sex with a man against their religion as well?

Very scary stuff.
Yes, especially if that "man" is a 13 year old boy.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:46 PM   #7
Nobody Special

Nobody Special

As sickening as that show was, I can't even imagine what would make them want to do such a thing.

The Rabbi was just creepy he acted like because I'm a Rabbi you can't do this to me. But the guy sitting on the chair naked, getting himself "ready" was truely the most dispicable of all of them. He should be taken out to the barn, nailed to a pole an handed a dull butter knife, as you light the barn on fire. I felt no sympathy for him at all.

The military intelligence guy that was into animals, well for some strange reason I felt sorry for him. Having family in the military and knowing how they deal with people, he's in a world of hurt.

And to this day I'm not sure why I felt sorry for them at all. Maybe, because people who abuse have usually been abused themselves.

I know of several people who have been abused and it messes a person up for life. They have never really gotten past the abuse that they recieved as a child. So, they were messed up to begin with I suppose. But, that still doesn't make it right.

But what an aweful show to watch. My wife and I had a sick feeling in our stomachs after watching the original. I haven't seen the follow up yet.

Go Cougars!
Nobody Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:51 PM   #8
fuegote

fuegote

Follow up: the special ed teacher: fired

the rabbi: resigned

the ER doctor: fired

the two servicemen: under investigation

the naked guy: under arrest

I think i got all the "updates" for you.