cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 03:41 AM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Where did the term zoob come from? I think it makes the person calling the name sound gayer than the target. Inquiring minds want to know.
Didn't you grow up in Utah County? How could you not know that? When I was in HS, everytime we drove by campus and the BYU students stepped out in traffic (expecting all cars to stop whether or not they were in a cross-walk), we would yell out "stupid zoobies!" as loud as we could. As explained above, it was derived from the term BYUZoo. There was even a cheesy little rhyme:

Rah-rah-rah for the BY Zoo,
Where the girls are girls, and the boys are too.

Of course, I then became a zoobie myself.

To this day, when I see a student jaywalk in front of me, I still yell "stupid zoobies!".
Old 01-30-2007, 03:44 AM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Legend has it the term came about because BYU is like a Zoo, whose inmates roam the grounds seeking mates, thus people associated with it are Zoobies. Also, if you live in a Zoo, your reality is only perceived by yourself, not to anyone elso who sees you. The Lions in the Savhanna display might think they are in Africa, but everyone else knows they are in the Zoo.
Oh, I like that definition much better. It encapsulates the whole bubble (see encapsulates-nice word play, eh?) experience at the Y too.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:55 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Oh, I like that definition much better. It encapsulates the whole bubble (see encapsulates-nice word play, eh?) experience at the Y too.
I like how you used encapsulate there. Very well done.

It was the same thing at Marist. A private Jesuit, liberal arts, left-wing, pinhead factory. No honor code to sign, but if one didn't buy into the narrow scope of "We are the world" thinking there, it was difficult to survive, unless you saw it as an opportunity to mock and kick against the pricks, both figuratively and literally.

IOW, I had lots of fun there.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:58 AM   #14
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Didn't you grow up in Utah County? How could you not know that? When I was in HS, everytime we drove by campus and the BYU students stepped out in traffic (expecting all cars to stop whether or not they were in a cross-walk), we would yell out "stupid zoobies!" as loud as we could. As explained above, it was derived from the term BYUZoo. There was even a cheesy little rhyme:

To this day, when I see a student jaywalk in front of me, I still yell "stupid zoobies!".
I did hear them referred to as Zoobies. But, no offense, but I thought that anyone who called them that was a hick. I also heard many people say that someone who attended BYU "went up to the BY." I thought these expressions were archaic (and I still think that they are) and nonsensical. BYZoo I just took as a lame attempt to ridicule without meaning much as my brother calls it "Pizza Slut" for no reason other than to be crude.

As we all know old habits die hard, I guess we are stuck with Zoob whether we like it or not.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:04 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I did hear them referred to as Zoobies. But, no offense, but I thought that anyone who called them that was a hick. I also heard many people say that someone who attended BYU "went up to the BY." I thought these expressions were archaic (and I still think that they are) and nonsensical. BYZoo I just took as a lame attempt to ridicule without meaning much as my brother calls it "Pizza Slut" for no reason other than to be crude.

As we all know old habits die hard, I guess we are stuck with Zoob whether we like it or not.
Old habits do indeed, die hard. That's why I have to watch my tongue when I golf with my oldest boy. He doesn't need to hear me say things like "Who was the flippin' fetcher who decided that that would be a good place for a lateral hazzard?!" or something to that effect.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:16 AM   #16
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Old habits do indeed, die hard. That's why I have to watch my tongue when I golf with my oldest boy. He doesn't need to hear me say things like "Who was the flippin' fetcher who decided that that would be a good place for a lateral hazzard?!" or something to that effect.
Flip the freaking fetcher if he can't get his dadgum brain wrapped around daddy's flippin cussin, Daddy's been under a lot of golldarned stress and shiz.

You mean that kind of stuff? I have been there.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:25 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Flip the freaking fetcher if he can't get his dadgum brain wrapped around daddy's flippin cussin, Daddy's been under a lot of golldarned stress and shiz.

You mean that kind of stuff? I have been there.
Exactly. It's a good thing he's only been golfing with me when I was playing well.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:49 AM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought that anyone who called them that was a hick.
I resemble that remark.

And by the way, you should try the cross walk sometimes. Or yield to the cars.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:51 AM   #19
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Quote:
I resemble that remark.

And by the way, you should try the cross walk sometimes. Or yield to the cars.
No way, el duderino. I own the road, and as a Zoob I am to arrogant to share.

Last edited by Detroitdad; 01-30-2007 at 04:52 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 01-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #20
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Your experience mirrors mine.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote