cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #101
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It also makes pretty clear the definition of family does not include homosexual parents.
It also doesn't include parents who are ass-wipes, but you take them as you find them.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #102
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You tell me...

P.S. They claimed Noah was crying "Wolf!" for 120 years.
I don't think anyone is arguing that the disintegration of the family isn't bad. You're a little off the topic.

The question being debated is how does homosexual marriage lead to the disintegration of the family?

It seems to me it encourages the formation of families and thereby strengthens the concept of "family."

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #103
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Not that I am very politically motivated and know anything about Prop 8, but someone answer my question. How will allowing gays to have a piece paper that says they are legal make them anymore or less committed to each other?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #104
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickomatic View Post
Not that I am very politically motivated and know anything about Prop 8, but someone answer my question. How will allowing gays to have a piece paper that says they are legal make them anymore or less committed to each other?
How does a piece of paper make a man and woman more committed to each other? Why does a couple ever really want to get married?

Gays want to be able to get married because:

1. They love each other and marriage is the modern day love contract
2. They want to be accepted by society and gaining the right to marry is one step in that direction.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #105
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
"Fascism is a religious conception in which man is seen in his immanent relationship with a superior law and with an objective Will that transcends the particular individual and raises him to conscious membership of a spiritual society."

--Benito Mussolini

Pardon me for this, but I'm not overreaching. Mormons are nothing if not in a time capsule. Much of what frightened and motivated action on the part of Germans and Italians in the 1930's motivates Mormons today. Mormonism's fear mongering, notsalgia and fantasy is powerful stuff.
Argumentum ad Hitlerum. Beautiful.

Let me know once the Angel Moroni starts wielding the fasces.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #106
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
How does a piece of paper make a man and woman more committed to each other? Why does a couple ever really want to get married?

Gays want to be able to get married because:

1. They love each other and marriage is the modern day love contract
2. They want to be accepted by society and gaining the right to marry is one step in that direction.
But isn't the 'modern day love contract' torn apart over 50% of the time? Wouldn't it be more progressive of society to accept their relationship as a mutual understanding and give all legal considerships to that union?

Mark Twain
Old 08-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #107
Flystripper

Quote:
But isn't the 'modern day love contract' torn apart over 50% of the time? Wouldn't it be more progressive of society to accept their relationship as a mutual understanding and give all legal considerships to that union?
So because heteros tear up their love contracts, we shouldn't allow gays to enter into said contract? I don't follow.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #108
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

I am trying to understand how a progressive society is advancing by forcing an arcane custom on everyone.

Mark Twain
Old 08-13-2008, 10:24 PM   #109
Flystripper

Quote:
I am trying to understand how a progressive society is advancing by forcing an arcane custom on everyone.
There is no forcing of the custom. There is a request from a subset of the population to participate in the custom.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:33 PM   #110
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
There is no forcing of the custom. There is a request from a subset of the population to participate in the custom.
But if they want to participate in this old-fashion custom, why don't they follow all of the established rules of said custom. Lets just say, I want to play baseball the same way they did in the 1880. Would I not only need to look the part of playing in the 1880s but follow the rules of that time period? Today's baseball game is very different than that game and just because it has the same name does not mean it is the same game. I think today most 'legal' marriages are more of a civil union that has no more power than the bind the two parties involved have for it. Today even temple marriages are breaking up at a record pace.

Mark Twain