cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alex Smith as an NFL QB

It is a waste of time to post this on CB because the Utah hate combined with a lack of general knowledge of professional football is annoying...so, I bring it here.

Cougar fans...are there any among you who think Alex Smith won't be a successful NFL QB? If so, why? Is it mostly because he went to the U? Or is he not in a situation to succeed? Or does he simply not have the tools.

I'm interested to know...
Old 07-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Too early to tell. He's on such a crappy team. He could very well be the modern version of "Steve Young playing with Tampa Bay".

He did well at Utah...seems to have the right body, skills, intelligence...I don't see why he shouldn't succeed. Depends if they put the right manpower in front and around him.

Personally, I hope he does well. The more exposure ANY person from the MWC gains, so much the better for the rest of us. If he were to win the superbowl single handedly, get the NFL MVP this year...that would be just peachy with me.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather
It is a waste of time to post this on CB because the Utah hate combined with a lack of general knowledge of professional football is annoying...so, I bring it here.

Cougar fans...are there any among you who think Alex Smith won't be a successful NFL QB? If so, why? Is it mostly because he went to the U? Or is he not in a situation to succeed? Or does he simply not have the tools.

I grew up a 49er fan. I loved Steve Young and even before he (Young) was getting PT, I loved Jerry Rice. Ronnie Lott is still my favorite defender of all time. I'll admit my affinity towards them grew as McMahon faded as I was split between the 49ers and Bears, and, especially after the 49ers won Super Bowl XXIII (I honestly probably have watched that game 100 times at least... it was my favorite movie to watch as a child, I knew the play by play by heart and am still traumatized by Tim Krumrie's broken leg).

Having said all that, I was disappointed by their selection of Alex Smith at #1. I felt like they much further away than taking Smith. I wasn't a fan of Rodgers either, FWIW. I think Smith is has the potential to be a starting QB in the draft, but I'm not yet sold on him being an All-Pro, which I would expect from a #1 pick at QB.

I do think that Smith is a very smart QB and more than average mobile (especially for a white QB). He's an accurate passer. However, the 49ers are in such disarray that I don't think that he is the answer. I felt like they would have been better off taking a playmaker or two, or solidifying the O-line in 2005 and then in 2006 looked to draft a QB with Vince Young, Jay Cutler and Matt Leinart all available. I don't think that SF was the ideal place for him to succeed. Alex Smith would have done well to have been able to sit the bench for a year or two on a team with a solid O line and a few playmakers. SF needs too many pieces and I'm not sold on the fact that Alex Smith can be the type of QB to carry a team. Granted, he could be more successful once things in SF get more settled. I did like their draft this year as I think Vernon Davis should be an All-Pro TE based on his pure physical abilities.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I can agree with you Sizzle that their needs may have been better served by drafting another position. I'm not ready to anoint Young, Leinert or Cutler as better than Smith...and a lot of "experts" have backed off of their statements that Leinart in particular would've gone before him.

I think S.F. is building and will be for quite some time...but if they stick with Smith, he can help them win...especially if they protect him!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I personally was very impressed with Smith in college. He's an accurate passer, he's very intelligent, but above all, he's got great composure. These are all characteristics you'll find in Chad Pennington, except Smith doesn't have a bum shoulder. I think most people will agree that Pennington has the potential to be a superstar. So if Smith has many of the same characteristics, why not be a stud as well. His team is not always going to be awful. When they turn the program around in the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top 10-ish in the league.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather

I think the jury is still out on Smith. I wasn't convinced he was great in college. Utah ran an offense with LOTS of short, quick passes. His completion percentage was off the charts, but largely because his passes were going 3-5 yards and were very catchable.

Is he the benefactor of a great system at Utah or is he just a great quarterback? I don't think we know the answer to that yet. The NFL game is also very different from the college game. Some players are great in college and not so great in the NFL (which doesn't mean they were overrated in college either).

He hasn't shown much in the NFL. I'm not persuaded he was great in college.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:28 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
I think the jury is still out on Smith. I wasn't convinced he was great in college. Utah ran an offense with LOTS of short, quick passes. His completion percentage was off the charts, but largely because his passes were going 3-5 yards and were very catchable.

Is he the benefactor of a great system at Utah or is he just a great quarterback? I don't think we know the answer to that yet. The NFL game is also very different from the college game. Some players are great in college and not so great in the NFL (which doesn't mean they were overrated in college either).

He hasn't shown much in the NFL. I'm not persuaded he was great in college.
I don't necessarily disagree with Smith benefitting from Utah's system; however, I do have to say that Smith had a better football mind than any other QB in college in '04. He made the right decision almost every single time. He was able to see what the defense was going to do before it did it - not unlike the great BYU QBs of the past. It was the combination of his football mind and ability that convinced the 49ers to make him the #1 pick.

As for not showing much in the NFL, it's been one season on a horrendous team with absolutely no support for him. It's too early to say that he hasn't shown much or that he's shown a lot.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #8
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Smith will turn out to be a fine QB because of some of the reasons you all have mentioned--great composure, good athletic ability, accurate throwing arm and he is smart. The 49ers line was a disaster last year and he was given very little chance to succeed. With that said, I did expect him to do a little better than what he did. I was surprised that he wasn't able to show more even with his team in disarray.

This year is a big year for him...even though his team has improved but just a bit, a lot more will be expected of him. I will be interested to see how he rises to the challenge.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Here are the reasons why I think the 49ers and Smith are already behind the 8 ball in regards to his development.

#1 -- I do believe there is a pretty strong correlation and adjustment period of playing completely in a shotgun offense, to having to go under center.

#2 -- The 49ers in my opinion really did a lot to stunt Smith's development and confidence by putting him on the field last year. Regardless of how bad they sucked, or the argument of "they wouldn't have made the playoffs" anyway...for the life of me I could not fathom them throwing him out to the wolves like that when he was clearly not ready or prepared.

#3 -- The level of offensive talent around him is pathetic. All the more to make him sit for a couple of years and observe and learn while they try and upgrade the talent.

#4 -- The 49ers got Vernon Davis who is a stud, but they still have NO playmaking WR and a questionable rushing attack and a questionable offensive line. Larry Allen was a nice pick up but he's pretty up there in years and in reality how much does he have left in the tank.

#5 -- I like Smith's smarts and his athletic ability to get the job done, but if this season ends up like next then quite frankly he's screwed and is going to be labeled a bust. Whether that is his fault or the 49ers fault that's up for debate, but in my opinion I think the Niners completely mis-handled Smith last year.