cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2008, 04:49 AM   #21
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Whoa, hold on a sec, hoss. What exactly is it that you think I said?
That we will be judged by what is in our hearts. By "hearts" I assume you actually mean "head" since our heart doesn't really think.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:57 AM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
That we will be judged by what is in our hearts. By "hearts" I assume you actually mean "head" since our heart doesn't really think.
This is what I think:

2 I say unto thee, my son, that the plan of restoration is requisite with the justice of God; for it is requisite that all things should be restored to their proper order. Behold, it is requisite and just, according to the power and resurrection of Christ, that the soul of man should be restored to its body, and that every part of the body should be restored to itself.

3 And it is requisite with the justice of God that men should be judged according to their works; and if their works were good in this life, and the desires of their hearts were good, that they should also, at the last day, be destored unto that which is good.

4 And if their works are evil they shall be restored unto them for evil. Therefore, all things shall be restored to their proper order, every thing to its natural frame—mortality raised to immortality, corruption to incorruption—raised to endless happiness to inherit the kingdom of God, or to endless misery to inherit the kingdom of the devil, the one on one hand, the other on the other—

5 The one raised to happiness according to his desires of happiness, or good according to his desires of good; and the other to evil according to his desires of evil; for as he has desired to do evil all the day long even so shall he have his reward of evil when the night cometh.

6 And so it is on the other hand. If he hath repented of his sins, and desired righteousness until the end of his days, even so he shall be rewarded unto righteousness.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:59 AM   #23
BlueHair

Quote:
I think the scriptures teach that we will be judged on the consummate whole of our character and person: thoughts, desires, and deeds.
If you had to guess, only a guess, what percentage of judgement will be assigned to each category?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:00 AM   #24
Tex

Quote:
If you had to guess, only a guess, what percentage of judgement will be assigned to each category?
I don't make a guess. I have no idea.

PS. I edited my previous post to make it more clear.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-12-2008, 05:02 AM   #25
BlueHair

Quote:
This is what I think:

2 I say unto thee, my son, that the plan of restoration is requisite with the justice of God; for it is requisite that all things should be restored to their proper order. Behold, it is requisite and just, according to the power and resurrection of Christ, that the soul of man should be restored to its body, and that every part of the body should be restored to itself.

3 And it is requisite with the justice of God that men should be judged according to their works; and if their works were good in this life, and the desires of their hearts were good, that they should also, at the last day, be destored unto that which is good.

4 And if their works are evil they shall be restored unto them for evil. Therefore, all things shall be restored to their proper order, every thing to its natural frame—mortality raised to immortality, corruption to incorruption—raised to endless happiness to inherit the kingdom of God, or to endless misery to inherit the kingdom of the devil, the one on one hand, the other on the other—

5 The one raised to happiness according to his desires of happiness, or good according to his desires of good; and the other to evil according to his desires of evil; for as he has desired to do evil all the day long even so shall he have his reward of evil when the night cometh.

6 And so it is on the other hand. If he hath repented of his sins, and desired righteousness until the end of his days, even so he shall be rewarded unto righteousness.
Do you really think that after we die, we will live the same type of existence as we did here? Even after we gain greater knowledge?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:19 AM   #26
Tex

Quote:
Do you really think that after we die, we will live the same type of existence as we did here? Even after we gain greater knowledge?
Joseph Smith taught: "That same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy."

Picture CG coupled with eternal glory, and there's the answer to your question.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-12-2008, 05:27 AM   #27
BlueHair

Quote:
Joseph Smith taught: "That same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy."

Picture CG coupled with eternal glory, and there's the answer to your question.
So I'm going to have to interact with exUte?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #28
Bruincoug

Bruincoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
So, homosexual desires are okay but a heterosexual can commit adultery in his heart and the sin be just as actionable as the literal act?
dood -- read the whole sentence: see, "fail to suppress them." i added that specifically with the scripture you mention in mind.

we definitely need to be clearer with vocabulary -- but i'm certainly not implying (and you should be able to tell that) that it's not sinful to intentionally spend all day with your lustful thoughts -- whether they're gay ones or straight ones.

but, to the extent that being gay means merely that your default set of sexual temptations / bad thoughts / lustful feelings that occur to you without your control are about other members of the opposite sex, i do not believe such desires are sinful of themselves; therefore, i do not believe homsexuality (in the 'default setting' sense) is sinful of itself. what you do with such temptation / thoughts / feelings can be sinful, e.g. do you dwell on them, indulge them, treasure them? or do you strive to set them aside, bridle, suppress, control them.

is it sinful for me, as a man, to want the companionship of a woman? you also need to remember that homosexuality tendancies are not merely about sexual intercourse, but also about emotional connection and companionship generally. (straight women think that love is more than sex, right? is it sinful for them to want to be with a man (non-sexually) outside of marriage? so what about gay men when they just want someone to be their emotional support / teammate / companion -- is that desire sinful? (i wouldn't know))

Last edited by Bruincoug; 11-12-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Bruincoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #29
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruincoug View Post
dood -- read the whole sentence: see, "fail to suppress them." i added that specifically with the scripture you mention in mind.

we definitely need to be clearer with vocabulary -- but i'm certainly not implying (and you should be able to tell that) that it's not sinful to intentionally spend all day with your lustful thoughts -- whether they're gay ones or straight ones.

but, to the extent that being gay means merely that your default set of sexual temptations / bad thoughts / lustful feelings that occur to you without your control are about other members of the opposite sex, i do not believe such desires are sinful of themselves; therefore, i do not believe homsexuality (in the 'default setting' sense) is sinful of itself. what you do with such temptation / thoughts / feelings can be sinful, e.g. do you dwell on them, indulge them, treasure them? or do you strive to set them aside, bridle, suppress, control them.

is it sinful for me, as a man, to want the companionship of a woman? you also need to remember that homosexuality tendancies are not merely about sexual intercourse, but also about emotional connection and companionship generally. (straight women think that love is more than sex, right? is it sinful for them to want to be with a man (non-sexually) outside of marriage? so what about gay men when they just want someone to be their emotional support / teammate / companion -- is that desire sinful? (i wouldn't know))
I understand you point and agree. And I didn't mean to quibble over semantics.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #30
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't think anyone actually believes thinking about sin is the same thing as doing it. I doubt even the yes men on the board think that way.
29 And finally, I cannot tell you all the things whereby ye may commit sin; for there are divers ways and means, even so many that I cannot number them.
30 But this much I can tell you, that if ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, and observe the commandments of God, and continue in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord, even unto the end of your lives, ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not.
(Moshiah 4:29-30)

I believe that when we get to the other side, many of us are going to be pleasently surprised how merciful God is going to be with us. I do not believe that thoughts and actions are on the same level of "unrighteousness". However, continously entertaining "unrighteous" thoughts can lead an individual to commit that action, hence, the warning from the Lord "watch your thoughts". Personally, the consequences of entertaining "unrighteous thoughts" prevents me from fully experiencing the influence of the Spirit in my life.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote