cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affliction gets over 100k PPV buys....

Now that's from Atencio the VP of Affliction, but over 100k PPV buys, over 3 million live gate, seems like they hit the ball out of the park.

Better for all of us MMA fans, this should mean that the UFC will put on better cards (no more Leben vs Bisping main events on PPV cards, puhleeeeese), will show more top level fighters for free on UFN's (like Silva last Saturday), and maybe just maybe open up their contracts to allow both non-UFC fighters to fight in the UFC and lend their fighters to fight in other organizations.

Last edited by fusnik11; 07-24-2008 at 06:30 AM.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Now that's from Atencio the VP of Affliction, but over 100k PPV buys, over 3 million live gate, seems like they hit the ball out of the park.

Better for all of us MMA fans, this should mean that the UFC will put on better cards (no more Leben vs Bisping main events on PPV cards, puhleeeeese), will show more top level fighters for free on UFN's (like Silva last Saturday), and maybe just maybe open up their contracts to allow both non-UFC fighters to fight in the UFC and lend their fighters to fight in other organizations.
Where'd you find those numbers? I saw barely a $2 million dollar gate figure on Sherdog. They doled out over $3.3 million to the fighters alone. Ben Rothwell received a quarter million for his fight. That is ridiculous. Barnett and Lindland made $300,000 also. Arlovski made a half a million plus another quarter million for his win.

There is no way that Affliciton can survive paying this much. I'd be very surprised if those PPV buys were that high.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all your numbers are off. 14,894 fans which is a 2.1 million livegate. Like Surfah said they had a 3.3 million dollar payroll. Finally 100k is nice but the UFCs basement for a B-list UK card (like Bisping vs Leben) is 200k buys.
http://www.mmapayout.com/2008/07/aff...d-100000-buys/

So I am not sure they hit it out of the park. Also the Leben-Bisping fight coming up will be on Spike.

Atencio said they will lose a lot of money on this card, and that "changes" are coming otherwise Affliction wont be able to maintain. Changes will mean less money for fighters which means he wont attract anymore big names.

He is trying to put together Fedor vs Arlovski on Oct. 11th, but we will see what happens.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
First of all your numbers are off. 14,894 fans which is a 2.1 million livegate. Like Surfah said they had a 3.3 million dollar payroll. Finally 100k is nice but the UFCs basement for a B-list UK card (like Bisping vs Leben) is 200k buys.
http://www.mmapayout.com/2008/07/aff...d-100000-buys/

So I am not sure they hit it out of the park. Also the Leben-Bisping fight coming up will be on Spike.

Atencio said they will lose a lot of money on this card, and that "changes" are coming otherwise Affliction wont be able to maintain. Changes will mean less money for fighters which means he wont attract anymore big names.

He is trying to put together Fedor vs Arlovski on Oct. 11th, but we will see what happens.
A columnist from SI made a good point about Affliction and their future cards. With all of these other fighters under contract through other organizations how long can they keep rehashing these same fights with these free agents/cast offs? And if it takes paying $800,000 to the Tim Sylvia's of the world to jump ship for a single :36 second fight how can this survive financially.

Now I like what Affliction is doing. They're making UFC stay on their game. I think the additions to the UFC 88 card are evidence of that.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

all I gotta say is that that last 2 UFC cards have sucked big-time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:04 AM   #6
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
Where'd you find those numbers? I saw barely a $2 million dollar gate figure on Sherdog. They doled out over $3.3 million to the fighters alone. Ben Rothwell received a quarter million for his fight. That is ridiculous. Barnett and Lindland made $300,000 also. Arlovski made a half a million plus another quarter million for his win.

There is no way that Affliciton can survive paying this much. I'd be very surprised if those PPV buys were that high.
I made a mistake on the live gate figure, 2 million is the right number. (Posting a bit late last night)

2.1 million live gate (I think Affliction purchased 500k in tickets themselves)
4 million in PPV buys
<3.3 million payroll>
<? dollars in advertising>
=
IMO hitting the ball out of the park for a first ever PPV event for a start up promotion.

Fedor vs. Arlovski seems to be a signed fight for Oct. 11 and Babalu is rumored to fight Tito. Add Barnett to the card and you may have another home run PPV. Atencio did say that they will have to amend things for their next events which I interpreted as pay scale for fighters. If Affliction keeps getting momentum it can only be a good thing for MMA fans, better main event cards, better undercards, more free UFN's, etc.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote