cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2007, 04:38 AM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Bush tried to ruin baseball too"

The title of the author's post is tic, but it is interesting...

"I MADE my arguments and went down in flames. History will prove me right."

"George Bush on Iraq? No, that was George Bush, the then owner of the Texas Rangers, a major league baseball team, after voting against baseball's new wild-card system in 1993. The owners' vote came down 27-1 against Mr Bush. History, meanwhile, has proven him quite wrong—most players, owners and fans (including myself) consider the wild-card system, in effect since 1995, a tremendous success. (I only mention it because my Yankees play tonight, after having won the wild card during the regular season.)"

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ...aseball_to.cfm

Me: The wildcard has been a success. But I can understand where Bush was coming from...baseball had (and still does) a very long season for a reason – it *was* the playoffs. The teams playing for the pennant were the best over the gauntlet of the entire season, not just a quick five game series.

Obviously there have been some very good WC teams, in that there are 3-4 WS winners from the WC, in its short history.

Last edited by 8ballrollin; 10-08-2007 at 04:41 AM.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote