cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 12:42 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Biblical Criticism easily explained

In a link provided by Pelagius, I discovered an easy summary of some Ehrman's discussions.

It is brilliantly concise and clear, a novel concept for the clouded area of bibical criticism.

http://feastupontheword.org/images/4...al_Studies.pdf

On a side note, Ancient Greek is maddening.

For those familiar with inflected languages, Greek has many changes depending on dialect and time frame. Its verbs have six basic conjugations with three components, time, aspect and mood.

Nouns are declined like Romance or Germanic languages.

Well, in studying the "first declensions of feminine nouns" one discovers this wonderful tidbit, "originally all first declension feminines had stems ending in alpha; this reamined so in the Doric and Aeolic dialect; in Attic, however, alpha was replaced by eta in all cases of the singlar, except when alpha was preceded by epsilon, iota or rho. This mean that in Attic there were two different types of first declension feminies, alpha stems and eta stems. So without even approaching biblical Greek of Koine, I have to remember the Doric stuff, and the Attic stuff?

Talk about vector sheets.

There is a cool saying which is now my favorite saying, cuz it's the only one I know in Greek, Kallon hesychia (Leisure is a fine thing) one Periander's sayings, as quoted by Diogenes Laertius 1.97.