cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
*rolls eyes*

I don't hate pedophiles. I have some relatives and good friends that are pedophiles. I think pedophiles should have the same rights as non-pedophiles.

I just don't approve of the pedophile lifestyle. I don't want my kids taught that being a pedophile is "normal." I don't want them to read stories about pedophiles in school. I don't think pedophiles should be able to adopt kids. If we let pedophiles marry and let pedophilia be normalized, it will be terrible for families across this country.

Gee, why are pedophiles upset by this stance? I don't want to infringe on the rights of pedophiles in any way. I just want to protect my kids and my religion.
ironically, pedophiles actually have more rights than homosexuals.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #22
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, they aren't equal. That's the point, genius.

Pedophilia has as much to do with homosexuality as black civil rights or anti-Mormon bigotry has to do with homosexuality.
Gotcha. Glad we've established that. I'm trying to illustrate to Mormons how we are perceived by gay people. Just because you qualify everything with "I don't hate gay people and I have gay friends and relatives" doesn't mean our anti-gay rhetoric isn't hurtful. Why would people be surprised that gays are pissed off at Mormons right now?
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #23
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you think gays want to be "normalized"? Do you think gay people face persecution? What do you think would happen to the persecution of gay people if they were to be viewed as normal in society? Would not marriage help in the acceptance of gays in our society?

So it really comes down to if you believe that the normalization of gays would have a negative impact on society or a positive impact on society. I believe strongly that the normalization of gays in our society would be extremely positive. I think the reduction of persecution and hate that gays face would have a greater benefit to society than the preservation of a dictionary definition of the word marriage. To me it basically comes down to that.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
Gotcha. Glad we've established that. I'm trying to illustrate to Mormons how we are perceived by gay people. Just because you qualify everything with "I don't hate gay people and I have gay friends and relatives" doesn't mean our anti-gay rhetoric isn't hurtful. Why would people be surprised that gays are pissed off at Mormons right now?
You're so full of straw men, it's hard to keep up. The LDS church did not use "anti-gay" rhetoric and the comparison to anti-Mormonism is flawed.

Saying "I oppose normalizing homosexuality" no more means you an automatic bigot than saying "I have gay friends" automatically means you're not.

People obviously are not fitting into the neat little buckets you've created for them, Cardiac, so you're trying to shoehorn them in. Not very convincing.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #25
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're so full of straw men, it's hard to keep up.
I think you're overusing the "straw man" thing. Are you sure you know what that means?
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I think you're overusing the "straw man" thing. Are you sure you know what that means?
Tex is the master straw man, so he should know what it means.

The majority of his posts appear to refute the issue at hand, but they really don't even address the issue at hand.

Like most straw men, Tex lacks a brain.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #27
Tex

Quote:
Straw is what the foundation of CG is constructed on.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #28
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Straw is what the foundation of CG is constructed on.
Cardiac, this is a perfect example of Tex's strawman-ness.

It is a pretty classic technique that most judges would wind up finding contemptuous because it is non-responsive.

You ask Tex a direct yes/no question.

He "responds" with some metaphoric nonsense that, on its face, appears to answer your question in a very profound way.

But upon closer inspection, you realize that not only did he not answer your direct question, but really didnt say anything at all. CG is built on straw? What does that mean? Tex spends lots of time here, so again, what is he saying here?

Many, even the majority of Tex's posts are like that.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #29
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Many, even the majority of Tex's posts are like that.
And Triplet spends a lot of time whining. Worse, he's a verbose whiner.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #30
TripletDaddy

Quote:
And Triplet spends a lot of time whining. Worse, he's a verbose whiner.
Again, not addressing the issue, but rather sidestepping and saying something else that, truthfully, has nothing to do with anything.