cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Juanita Brooks

"She did not think of Mormonism as an ecclesiastical corporation belonging to the men who governed it but as an informal federation of believers in which she had a full interest and voice."
-Levi S. Peterson, Juanita Brooks: Mormon Woman Historian.

This is sort of what SIEQ has been saying all along, when he talks about common consent. That we need to break free from the idea that this a church in which we are but the lowest rung, to one that recognizes the primacy of each member to have a place and a voice.

Brooks' idea of Mormonism is pretty foreign to me. It was never taught to me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
"She did not think of Mormonism as an ecclesiastical corporation belonging to the men who governed it but as an informal federation of believers in which she had a full interest and voice."
-Levi S. Peterson, Juanita Brooks: Mormon Woman Historian.

This is sort of what SIEQ has been saying all along, when he talks about common consent. That we need to break free from the idea that this a church in which we are but the lowest rung, to one that recognizes the primacy of each member to have a place and a voice.

Brooks' idea of Mormonism is pretty foreign to me. It was never taught to me.
Thought this might be a good place to share this:

Quote:
“Riding Herd” (Excerpt from a Letter)
By Juanita Brooks
Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 1 (Summer 1966), pg. 141.

My statement regarding my father’s idea of “riding herd” is, like most analogies, subject to question because any analogy is bound to be faulty in some respects. But for whatever it is worth, here it is:

My father early recognized my tendency to question, to disagree, to refuse to take many of the Old Testament stories at face value. I could not admire Jacob’s ethics in stealing his brother’s birthright; I did not believe that the wind from tin horns would blow down the walls of Jericho, but insisted that they “fell” figuratively when the guards panicked and ran; if bears came out and devoured the children who called Elijah “old bald-pate,” I didn’t think God sent them, etc., etc.

One day Dad said to me, “My girl, if you follow this tendency to criticize, I’m afraid you will talk yourself out of the Church. I’d hate to see you do that. I’m a cowboy, and I’ve learned that if I ride in the herd, I am lost – totally helpless. One who rides counter to it is trampled and killed. One who only trails behind means little, because he leaves all responsibility to others. It is the cowboy who rides at the edge of the herd, who sings and calls and makes himself heard who helps direct the course. Happy sounds are generally better than cursing, but there are times when he must swear a little and swing a whip or lariat to round in a stray or turn the leaders. So don’t lose yourself, and don’t ride away and desert the outfit. Ride the edge of the herd and be alert, but now your directions, and call out loud and clear. Chances are, you won’t make any difference, but on the other hand, you just might.”

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/doc...PTR=6954&REC=2
Old 08-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quotes.

What is amazing to me is that someone like Jaunita Brooks rose up in the time and place that she did. A woman in 1950 in Southern Utah. How remarkable is that?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Thanks for the quotes.

What is amazing to me is that someone like Jaunita Brooks rose up in the time and place that she did. A woman in 1950 in Southern Utah. How remarkable is that?
She grew up in a sort of isolation and poverty that it is hard to imagine. For example, as a teenager, she wore panties sewn from a flour sack. It was extremely common for cousins to marry. She received three patriarchal blessings. Her grandfather was a polygamist and was married to a full-blood Indian, because ecclesiastical authorities had asked Dudley Leavitt to do so. It was somewhat of an embarrassment to the family, but Juanita was told not to judge her and her children harshly.

So far, I see both similarities and contrasts with Fawn Brodie.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
She grew up in a sort of isolation and poverty that it is hard to imagine. For example, as a teenager, she wore panties sewn from a flour sack. It was extremely common for cousins to marry. She received three patriarchal blessings. Her grandfather was a polygamist and was married to a full-blood Indian, because ecclesiastical authorities had asked Dudley Leavitt to do so. It was somewhat of an embarrassment to the family, but Juanita was told not to judge her and her children harshly.

So far, I see both similarities and contrasts with Fawn Brodie.
But the flour sack panties were uncomfortable enough that she didn't have the same issues removing her panties that afflicted Sister Fawn, if ya know what I mean...hmmm...hmmm?

Brother Brooks was a much happier sould than Brother Brodie!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Thanks for the quotes.

I agree. I much rather hear a talk in sacrament meeting about her than Emma Hale Smith.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I agree. I much rather hear a talk in sacrament meeting about her than Emma Hale Smith.
Boy are you impatient.

It will be at least another 50 years before Brooks will be spoken on in reverent tones by general authorities.

The GAs that will do so are just now out of their diapers.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Thought this might be a good place to share this:

Interesting quote. I especially liked the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanita Brooks' Father
Happy sounds are generally better than cursing, but there are times when he must swear a little
It is easy to ride in the herd. It is a little harder to ride at the edge of the herd while cursing. It is much harder, I think, to ride at the edge and make "happy sounds". That's good advice, I think.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The quote that Solon provided is in her biography as well.

Juanita Levitt's uncle was the Sunday School teacher who "credulously" believed all storiest in the Old Testament. Juanita rode him so hard that her father had to intervene and say the above to her. The next week when Juanita went to SS, her uncle had quit. And shortly thereafter he died.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a great thread, keep it up guys.