cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My analysis is thus

and to be honest most of us had inklings coming into the year.

On defense we have subpar ILB play. Usually BYU will have at least one ILB that is all MWC caliber, this year we do not. The defensive backfield is what it is and is what it will be many years for BYU. I do think BYU can find better tacklers at safety, but I honestly feel the struggles on this defense come down to ILB. If the safety's were not as concerned bolstering the front 7, mostly due to not having good ILB, I think they would be adequate. A good front 7 can hide a lot of defensive backfield issues. Right now BYU's front 7 is not good up the gut. That hurts the whole defense. This issue is not going to be fixed this year. Perhaps Terrance Hooks can be that type of player, perhaps it will be an issue for a couple of years. Doman and Baumen are solid support ILB, but neither is good enough individually. If either were alongside a Kelly Poppinga or a Cameron Jensen or a Justin Ena or a Rob Morris or a Shay Muirbrook they would be just fine. IMO this is the most crucial position that needs upgrading.

On offense Max Hall is going through a funk. I don't claim to know enough about the qb position to identify specifically what is ailing him. Perhaps he is locking on to his first option and not going through the progressions. I don't claim to know, but this much I do believe is that this offense should not be performing as poorly as it is. It was too effective last year and returned too many capable and experienced players. Certainly Anae has culpability as his is the OC as does Bronco. However, from my perspective I don't see the issue being playcalling or gameplanning as much as it is the inability of the offense to execute the plays and the gameplan. I think it is something deeper that has been building up for weeks and might take a few weeks to fully fix. But I believe this is very fixable this year.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Well it was fun while it lasted. A game like this was bound to happen sooner or later. Credit TCU for being well-prepared and more focused. And better-coached (for last night at least).

We will bounce back and have our revenge against Utah.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe we can get into the Armed Forces bowl in Fort Worth! A third place finish in the MWC is very possible. Which MWC bowl is for 3rd place?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
maybe we can get into the Armed Forces bowl in Fort Worth! A third place finish in the MWC is very possible. Which MWC bowl is for 3rd place?
BCS
Las Vegas
San Diego
New Mexico
Ft. Worth
Boise

And except for the BCS slot the standings don't matter. The bowls take whoever they want who is still available in the order above. BYU will probably go to San Diego.

Last edited by BlueK; 10-17-2008 at 03:11 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

it doesn't matter. they are all awful bowls.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was wondering this too. I thought I'd ask a Ute fan friend since they ought to be familiar with this situation. It looks like that may be where we're heading.
Kilgore Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
BlueK

Quote:
it doesn't matter. they are all awful bowls.
we all know that. The whole system sucks. In the good old days the bowls didn't select until the end of the season and a team could go anywhere. Now every bowl is tied into conferences and can't select the best matchups, making most bowls boring and unwatchable. I can count on one hand how many I watch each year now.

Last edited by BlueK; 10-17-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I was wondering this too. I thought I'd ask a Ute fan friend since they ought to be familiar with this situation. It looks like that may be where we're heading.
I think there's an 80% chance we go to San Diego. BYU sells tickets. The LV bowl will take someone else because they've had us 3 years in a row. SD picks next. They want to make money and BYU fans will show up.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

The LV Bowl will take the team that will sell out the stadium. They are in the business to make money.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The LV Bowl will take the team that will sell out the stadium. They are in the business to make money.
Utah would sell enough tickets to satisfy them. But your point about making money is right on. That's why there is no way BYU isn't taken by the Poinsettia Bowl if LV passes.