cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ever since 9/11 I've thought that Al Qaeda might

be interested in sparking wildfires throughout the country. If you think about it, it's probably the very easiest form of terrorism to perpetrate and ends up being incredibly expensive to us. They could wreak serious havoc with just a few operatives touching off fires on the right days in the right places. They could have the entire West ablaze a couple of times each summer and never really get caught. I wonder if they don't see what's going on in SoCal right now and think "hey, we could do that."
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Terrorists are completely impotent. They couldn't harm us even if they wanted to, and they don't. You're just spouting nutjob right-wing Fox News propaganda to scare us into voting Republican. Go back to listening to Rush, Bush's-crotch sniffer.

[/MikeWaters]
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:53 PM   #3
FMCoug

FMCoug

Agreed, but it doesn't fit their profile. They want to do "big bang" things that are horriffic and easily identifiable as terrorism. There is a plethora of things like this they could do that would cause serious harm to our economy and my extension our country. But they don't meet the criteria above.

Another example... a few well-place potholes on major Interstates would create major havoc in the delivery of goods.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had the same thought SB. If I were a terrorist, I wouldn't focus on the big cities. I'd start a group of wildfires throughout the West, forcing the states to spend tons of money combatting the blazes. Around that time I would set off car bombs to take out freeways througout the midwest. This would halt interstate trucking, temporarily knocking out food and supply transport. There would be nationwide chaos.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:57 PM   #5
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I can think of a ton of ways the terrorists could hit us that would cause at least as much fear as 9/11 but that wouldn't take even a fraction of the planning. It seems that these terrorists are either really stupid, completely impotent, or that they just wanted to do something really complicated and dramatic to make a statement, without desire to further terrorize. Either way, I think it's ridiculous how much of our public dialogue is devoted to this relatively minor issue.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:58 PM   #6
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I've had the same thought SB. If I were a terrorist, I wouldn't focus on the big cities. I'd start a group of wildfires throughout the West, forcing the states to spend tons of money combatting the blazes. Around that time I would set off car bombs to take out freeways througout the midwest. This would halt interstate trucking, temporarily knocking out food and supply transport. There would be nationwide chaos.
But you are rational and are approaching it from the standpoint of "how do I do the most damage to their economy / country?" They are looking for big bang thing that cause terror. Real damage is secondary. So they will always be looking to the 9/11ish stuff.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:01 AM   #7
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Terrorists are completely impotent. They couldn't harm us even if they wanted to, and they don't. You're just spouting nutjob right-wing Fox News propaganda to scare us into voting Republican. Go back to listening to Rush, Bush's-crotch sniffer.

[/MikeWaters]
Ouch! You need to learn to contain that razor-sharp wit. You're going to cut yourself.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote