cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #31
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Great stuff. Some of you are touching on my beloved Benjamin.

SU and I have been down this road before, but I'm a firm believer in J.S. Mill's postulate that the presence of error empowers truth. It's not that we shouldn't try to differentiate the one from the other, but that we should have enough humility to let them play out. The certainty of "I know" testimonies and corrleated manuals would put itself above "error," alternative voices in democracy, and the serious investigation of the relation of historical artifacts to myths (a subject I love). Hagiography loathes the stone rejected by the builders, but nonetheless risks revealing it.

Had I read through this thread I would have just posted this here.

Linkage:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...2497#post82497
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 05-17-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:36 PM   #32
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

To return to Seattle's original question...

There may be those that use the "history as mythology" argument to further claims of the historical validity of scripture. That should not detract from the veracity of the "history of mythology" argument in itself.

There is a strong element of mythology in any people's history. Some players will be deified, others vilified, lesser players are forgotten altogether. Fatal flaws and heroic traits are emphasized, while complex details are lost to time.

I think in some respects this is due to some emotional need we have for these elements. But in another respect, I think it's merely the result of our need to try to make logical sense of the often illogical progression of human events. It's simply easier to understand our history if we can string it together in terms of cause and effect, good and evil; even if it means that to some extent we're creating our own myth.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:09 PM   #33
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Great stuff. Some of you are touching on my beloved Benjamin.

SU and I have been down this road before, but I'm a firm believer in J.S. Mill's postulate that the presence of error empowers truth. It's not that we shouldn't try to differentiate the one from the other, but that we should have enough humility to let them play out. The certainty of "I know" testimonies and corrleated manuals would put itself above "error," alternative voices in democracy, and the serious investigation of the relation of historical artifacts to myths (a subject I love). Hagiography loathes the stone rejected by the builders, but nonetheless risks revealing it.

Had I read through this thread I would have just posted this here.

Linkage:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...2497#post82497
Thanks SEIQ. I plan to read this a little later when I get more time. Then I'll comment on it.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #34
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
To return to Seattle's original question...

There may be those that use the "history as mythology" argument to further claims of the historical validity of scripture. That should not detract from the veracity of the "history of mythology" argument in itself.

There is a strong element of mythology in any people's history. Some players will be deified, others vilified, lesser players are forgotten altogether. Fatal flaws and heroic traits are emphasized, while complex details are lost to time.

I think in some respects this is due to some emotional need we have for these elements. But in another respect, I think it's merely the result of our need to try to make logical sense of the often illogical progression of human events. It's simply easier to understand our history if we can string it together in terms of cause and effect, good and evil; even if it means that to some extent we're creating our own myth.
Well stated. This makes me think of Tolstoy's argument against Carlye's great man theory, which seemingly depends upon our mythologized past. But there may be even more going on than what you say as we spin our myths. I'm kind of a romantic at heart. Probably because of my Mormon roots.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote