cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How do you stack up?
I'm in the third row 2 18.18%
Below the median fro my respective group 1 9.09%
Above the median for my respective group 6 54.55%
Place of honor is the fourth row 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #31
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I was aware of this study while it was first published, and found it interesting in light of what the rest of the stufy was purporting to explore.

They also tried but didn't have enough data if I recall to group it by age.
Of course, you can only work with the data you actually have. Grouping by age wouldn't really solve my concern. I want a control in there for the number of years the relationship has been sexual.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #32
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I do worry about whether some of the sub-samples are all that comparable. Mormons are far less likely than most of the sub-samples to engage in sexual intercourse before marriage. Sexual intercourse frequency is likely to be higher when the relationship becomes sexual. Some of the categories, like liberal protestant and non-religuous married couples, are likely not to include the peak or highest sex frequency couples because they are not married yet.
I'm not sure I agree with your theory regarding married versus non-married, but no matter...we don't have any data.

Honestly, I thought the study was fraught with validity issues. This is one of the reasons I looked for a more recent study. I haven't done a thorough search, but I haven't found a comparable study yet.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #33
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I'm not sure I agree with your theory regarding married versus non-married, but no matter...we don't have any data.

Honestly, I thought the study was fraught with validity issues. This is one of the reasons I looked for a more recent study. I haven't done a thorough search, but I haven't found a comparable study yet.
Sure, ultimately it is an empirical issue and some things work against Mormons in the sub-sampling. For example, Mormons have more kids on average than non-Mormons and it is a generally accepted stylized fact that sexual intercourse frequency decreases during pregnancy.

Last edited by pelagius; 05-17-2007 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #34
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
it is a generally accepted stylized fact that sexual intercourse frequency decreases during pregnancy...
Not to mention once the kids are running around the house!
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:00 AM   #35
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Sex studies as even the famous Johnson and Masters are inherently suspect, for a reason which our society probably can attribute to the Puritans and to Victorian sentiments, because people tend to be dishonest regarding the data.

The best we can develop are hypotheses coupled with scant data. There have been frequency studies for decades, but I don't know how reliable they are or if they are more reliable than before because people are not as sensitive.

I listened rarely to recent study released publicly, which stated 4% of women were having sex at least once daily and 4% were never having it, even though they were in a relationship. 53% stated their frequency represented an average 2 to 3 times per week. But it wasn't broken down by religion. Interestingly, 4% women claimed foreplay lasted too long. We speculated that it might be the same four percent getting every day.

My speculation is this, reading far too much into studies, but after synthesizing what we know, is that birth, children and cultural heritage play a part in sexual frequency and perceived sexual norms, but that biology plays a large part as well.

LDS women have good girl syndrome to overcome, which is innocently and ignorantly promoted by LDS society promoting a healthy concept of premarital abstinence.

Women may vary as broadly as men in terms of libido, but the groupings are probably more strung out, i.e., men feel a stronger biological urge and hence must restrain themselves, thereby compromising their desires to accommodate their mates.

Age and health also play a role, but by and large a significant number of couple probably resort to horizontal refreshment several times weekly. All people will go through periods of abstinence, due to health, time, work, and interest. Some just have longer droughts than others. Communication appears to be the key, early on in the relationship and constant throughout. Aberrations in expectations can affect one's experiences but cultural norms will dictate some regularity.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-17-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:21 AM   #36
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Well, I pulled the article from the databases so I could read the whole thing. It's dated, but still interesting. I searched citation indexes for more recent similar material, but found nothing.

Here's a quote to aid Marsupial in her future battles regarding the ice-queen caricature:
Thanks for looking out for me.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:28 AM   #37
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Thanks for looking out for me.
Well don't get too happy Tom and John can go a little BRM on you if you don't keep them on their toes.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:34 AM   #38
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Well don't get too happy Tom and John can go a little BRM on you if you don't keep them on their toes.
What's BRM?
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:37 AM   #39
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
What's BRM?
BRM= Bruce R. McConkie
Old 05-17-2007, 12:39 AM   #40
Archaea

Quote:
BRM= Bruce R. McConkie
Geeze, bad humor isn't funny if it must be explained.