cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #21
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm not sure if I have more to offer than what folks have said here, but I'll afflict you with my opinion anyway.

Beyond sharing a common sense of purpose to bless the lives of the needy, I'm not sure I am concerned with being included in the community of Christians. We are different, and in a doctrinal sense I'd say we we even want to be different.

Where being known as Christians, in addition to Mormons, is helpful is in conveying our values to people who don't know much about us. We want folks to know we believe in Christ "and him crucified" as Paul would say. We want them to know we believe in being "honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men." Outside of the obvious missionary benefits, it disarms people when they feel they share something in common with you.

The problem of being persecuted for not being Christian is fortunately growing smaller, in my opinion, and I speak as someone raised in the south. I don't mean to demean others' negative experiences, but I always felt that whatever ridicule I received could be converted into something positive if handled properly. I also find that given our history, Mormons sometimes have a persecution or inferiority complex, and may take offense more easily than is necessary.

My 2 cents.
Do Texans consider themselves as having grown up in the South? I have never heard that before.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Do Texans consider themselves as having grown up in the South? I have never heard that before.
Texas is the south. It seceded from the union.

In reality Texas is where the south meets the west. But it is more south than west.

Texans feel no kinship with New Mexico, Arizona, California.

In reality Texans feel no kinship with any of their neighbors, but overall you have to consider Texas culture more similar to Georgia than Arizona.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #23
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I can see Mike's point here, then...if this (above) is the case, why wouldn't a member just go down the street to the Methodist church and join up? If the original Gospel of Christ is sufficient alone, and the embellishments are merely embellishments (rather than substantial doctrine), then what is the purpose of the Church?
Many reasons for a restoration of the gospel.

Priesthood authority is important.
Temple work is vital.
Living prophet is important.
Variation in doctrine within the Christian umbrella is a problem. Mormon doctrine fits in under that umbrella but that umbrella is pretty wide.
The organization of one, true church is important to prepare for and usher in the Second Coming.

These are not embellishments in the sense they are unimportant. But they may be considered embellishments in the sense that standing alone, they are meaningless; they are simply tools or methods to further God's purposes, which can be summarized through the important doctrines I listed previously that we share with Christians already.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #24
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Texas is the south. It seceded from the union.

In reality Texas is where the south meets the west. But it is more south than west.

Texans feel no kinship with New Mexico, Arizona, California.

In reality Texans feel no kinship with any of their neighbors, but overall you have to consider Texas culture more similar to Georgia than Arizona.
I am aware of Texas' history, but I have never heard a Texan tell me he thought he grew up in the south. Instead, it always sounds like they grew up in what they consider to be almost a separate country.

I wonder how many in the deep south would consider Texas to be part of the south?

I just found it interesting. I haven't spent much time in Texas, but I would have compared it more to Arizona than to Georgia (having spent some time in Georgia).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #25
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am aware of Texas' history, but I have never heard a Texan tell me he thought he grew up in the south. Instead, it always sounds like they grew up in what they consider to be almost a separate country.

I wonder how many in the deep south would consider Texas to be part of the south?

I just found it interesting. I haven't spent much time in Texas, but I would have compared it more to Arizona than to Georgia (having spent some time in Georgia).
I agree with Mike's statements. Texas has its own strange identity. If you talk to an Arizonan or a Coloradoan, they'll say Texas is part of the south. If you talk to a Georgian or a Kentuckyian, they'll say Texas is part of the west.

In reality, it's a little of both, with something all its own mixed in.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #26
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

They'll try to lynch you in Alabama if you say Texas is the South. Of course, they have obviously not been to East Texas.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #27
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't think Mormons necessarily want to be considered mainstream Christians, just Christians.

That's exactly it for me. I like our separateness and uniqueness and I don't want to be considered mainstream Christianity. I'd just like our fellow Christians to acknowledge us as fellow Christians. Sure, maybe a little weird and wacky, but Christians nonetheless. Not a cult.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #28
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I have always considered Texas is basically Northern Mexico.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #29
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road
Default You are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
They'll try to lynch you in Alabama if you say Texas is the South. Of course, they have obviously not been to East Texas.

judging by accent alone, the East Texas drawl is thick enough to stand up to any part of the South
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #30
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Sounds like the real problem is the judgmentalism from the Christian community. If prejudiced thinking is required in order to qualify as "mainstream" then I don't know why anyone would want to be a part of it anyway. Makes me sad that this is the impression some Protestants are leaving upon LDS members.
It's really only the Aaron Shaf types who are like this, and I think those are a small but very vocal minority of the protestant world. Unfortunately they tend to have a lot of influence over their congregations and a lot of the misinformation spills out into mainstream Christianity. However I've found that 90% or more of the protestant Christians I know come away with a favorable impression of mormons once they actually meet and associate with one.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote