cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 01:09 AM   #21
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

What you guys don't know is that this new mall is convertible within 48 hours into a Super Temple complex.

You think it's just a mall . . .

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:38 AM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I am shocked members are ok with this. What happens if the investment proves insolvent? Why are we ok with a 2 billion plus investment in the things of Babylon? How does this protect the center of the church?
Pres Hinckley: "Father, we submit these plans for your approval. Please let us know thy will."

<sufficient period of silence>

Pres Hinckley: I'm pretty sure that was an "OK". Let's do it.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:55 AM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I avoid going to downtown SLC pretty much all the time, except for a Jazz game here and there. I don't care what happens.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:55 AM   #24
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

My initial reaction was, why wouldn't the church use that money for humanitarian means, or to build temples, or to help the poor receive education, etc?

But... they already do those things, and in a very large way. For example the church was the largest private donor to Hurricane Katrina aid.

Obviously they (we?) have the assets for this without dipping into other budgets, so let the locals eat sushi. Sounds reasonable to me because they want to own the area surrounding Temple Square, but at the same time they still want it to be used. If they put in a five-story Beehive Clothing, who would go there? And if they put in low-income housing or the LDS Business College kids, they would just trash the place.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:34 AM   #25
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Has this been point of discussion around these parts?

I am shocked members are ok with this. What happens if the investment proves insolvent? Why are we ok with a 2 billion plus investment in the things of Babylon? How does this protect the center of the church? I really think SU has a good idea.

Sushi bars, hot chicks with tattoos, girls wearing shoulderless shirts, condo living which attracts progressive couples and singles, all scream something other than what I think Brigham envisioned when he said, 'this is the place.'
I heard today that before Zaire's 17,000 percent inflation set in, and its economy shrunk by 50%, Robert Mugabe said, in response to those who questioned his printing money to buy off his henchmen, "Countries can't go bankrupt, silly!" That's similar to the refrain you hear from most LDS in respone to concerns about the wisdom of this investment: "Come on, silly, they had that $2 billion sitting around in coin jars in the Church Office Building."

Truth is, the Church's perceived spectacular success investing is part of the LDS lore. The books are closed. If it was such a spectacular deal why didn't anybody else want to do it?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:42 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I heard today that before Zaire's 17,000 percent inflation set in, and its economy shrunk by 50%, Robert Mugabe said, in response to those who questioned his printing money to buy off his henchmen, "Countries can't go bankrupt, silly!" That's similar to the refrain you hear from most LDS in respone to concerns about the wisdom of this investment: "Come on, silly, they had that $2 billion sitting around in coin jars in the Church Office Building."

Truth is, the Church's perceived spectacular success investing is part of the LDS lore. The books are closed. If it was such a spectacular deal why didn't anybody else want to do it?
Do we know that nobody else wanted to do it?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:48 AM   #27
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's funny because it's usually the LDS church that denies much success in that area. It's the outside sources who have claimed the tremendous success. So, I guess this is one area where you side with the church's version of things.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:51 AM   #28
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Do we know that nobody else wanted to do it?
Most emphatically yes. It was an LDS Church bail out for downtown Salt Lake which was fast becoming a ghost town.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:55 AM   #29
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Mugabe is in Zimbabwe.

If the Church can't afford it who can? They have a big fat income stream coming in.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:58 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Most emphatically yes. It was an LDS Church bail out for downtown Salt Lake which was fast becoming a ghost town.
It certainly does seem that the LDS Church is the only entity willing to do this. Then again, perhaps nobody else was asked if they wanted to do it.

Of course, if downtown SLC became a ghost town, folks would complain that the LDS Church didn't do enough to bail it out.