cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 04:05 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cougarguard Book of the Bi-month

Perhaps we could be like those lame people that have a book of the month, and choose a church history book that a few people could be reading at the same time.

Perhaps "David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism" could be the first choice, as recommended by SteelBlue.

The other idea that occurred to me is that we could use this to help pay for the costs of hosting the site. Right now I am footing the entire bill. I certainly don't intend to use this site for commercial purposes, but it would be nice to have it pay for itself.

So I signed up for this amazon referral thing, where if you buy the book through the link I provide, about 4% goes to me, to defray costs for the site. I'd even be happy to post a running total of the amount made through these links (which I don't expect to be much).

Below is the Amazon link. (If you think you might actually buy the book, please wait a day or two, because I'm not sure that my account has been approved yet). If you guys don't like this idea, just say so.

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE: We're in business. Click HERE to get to the book link for "David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism".
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:12 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default great idea

it sounds it's worth the read
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:15 AM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent idea. As you know, I've already purchased my copy, but for future selections I'm happy to do it your way. It sounds like a great way to build a nice church history library.

I promise you that the McKay book will not disappoint anybody. It will provide lots of interesting discussion for weeks.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:46 PM   #4
Archaea

Default LEt us know and here is another one

which may interest.

http://farms.byu.edu/display.php?tab...ew&id=290&mp=T

It's about JS's wives, now estimated conservatively at 33 to 43.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default would this be any book purchased on....

amazon?

im going to order like 5 books in the next couple of days...
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:44 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, any book from Amazon.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:12 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LEt us know and here is another one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea

It's about JS's wives, now estimated conservatively at 33 to 43.
Archaea, I was honestly going to suggest this book as the next one after the McKay book. I read a few chapters a few years ago while staying at a friends home. It was very interesting and I have been meaning to purchase the book. I'm on board with your suggestion. But I do hope you guys will read the McKay one first, just because I'm anxious to hear your takes on it.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:36 PM   #8
Archaea

Default I will order it once Mike has his account in order

to help defray costs.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:42 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Cougarguard Book of the Bi-month

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Perhaps we could be like those lame people that have a book of the month, and choose a church history book that a few people could be reading at the same time.

Perhaps "David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism" could be the first choice, as recommended by SteelBlue.

The other idea that occurred to me is that we could use this to help pay for the costs of hosting the site. Right now I am footing the entire bill. I certainly don't intend to use this site for commercial purposes, but it would be nice to have it pay for itself.

So I signed up for this amazon referral thing, where if you buy the book through the link I provide, about 4% goes to me, to defray costs for the site. I'd even be happy to post a running total of the amount made through these links (which I don't expect to be much).

Below is the Amazon link. (If you think you might actually buy the book, please wait a day or two, because I'm not sure that my account has been approved yet). If you guys don't like this idea, just say so.
Stupid quetion: Do we have to buy the recomended book or do we just go through this site, buy a book or whatever and you get a kick back? I hope it's the latter because you'll do pretty well off of me then.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:58 PM   #10
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I love the idea. I don't think I can participate in the first installment, but I will definitely jump in on subsequent books.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote