cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Resources for Studying the Bible:

Briefly, here are a few recommended academic resources for studying the Bible. First, Online resources:

www.ntgateway.com (maintained by a Duke professor, a very good assembly of online resources, which is essential given all the crap there is out there on the internet - 5 stars).

www.otgateway.com (I've spent less time on this site, but from what I've seen it does a decent job at finding good information - 4 stars).

Introductions in Print:

For the new Testament, Bart Ehrman's Introduction to the NT is 5 stars all the way. There is no *historical* introduction out there that even comes close. For literary issues presented book by book of the NT, get Raymond E. Brown's Introduction. It is very long but very user friendly as a reference, and faithful Mormon scholars who are interested in this sort of thing are very fond of it (Brown was a believing catholic and an excellent scholar).

For the OT, John Collin's Intro to the Hebrew Bible is excellent. First year students at UNC got a ton out of this book. Collins is very good at presenting/summarizing the important issues.

Certainly not a complete list, but this is where I would start, if anyone cares.
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
Introductions in Print:

For the new Testament, Bart Ehrman's Introduction to the NT is 5 stars all the way. There is no *historical* introduction out there that even comes close. For literary issues presented book by book of the NT, get Raymond E. Brown's Introduction. It is very long but very user friendly as a reference, and faithful Mormon scholars who are interested in this sort of thing are very fond of it (Brown was a believing catholic and an excellent scholar).

For the OT, John Collin's Intro to the Hebrew Bible is excellent. First year students at UNC got a ton out of this book. Collins is very good at presenting/summarizing the important issues.

Certainly not a complete list, but this is where I would start, if anyone cares.
I really like both of the books you mentioned. Ehrman's introduction is wonderful and very readable. Brown's is great too (a side note: I really like Brown's, Birth of the Messiah as well). For general background into the history of the Biblical region I like, The Oxford History of the Biblical World by Michael Coogan.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
Briefly, here are a few recommended academic resources for studying the Bible. First, Online resources:

www.ntgateway.com (maintained by a Duke professor, a very good assembly of online resources, which is essential given all the crap there is out there on the internet - 5 stars).

www.otgateway.com (I've spent less time on this site, but from what I've seen it does a decent job at finding good information - 4 stars).

Introductions in Print:

Thank you.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thank you Chapel

I have not read Ehrman's intro, and now I will have to go grab it. I do like Brown's into, but I have also found Brown's Birth and Death of Messiah as well as his writings on John to be well done.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote