cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #41
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Let me give you a hypothetical:

Suppose there were a person with same sex attraction that was in love with another man but never physically acted on his attraction. Let's also suppose that he lived with the person he was in love with and that he made no secret to people in the ward that he was in love with his partner. How do you suppose his verbal expressions of love would go over in the ward?
Again I ask - isn't the Honor Code more stringent in it's rules than the LDS Church?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:31 AM   #42
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Is this so hard to understand? The church is against homosexual sex. The church has in the past and will in the future jump in the political arena on morality issues.

You may not like the reason but that is the reason.
That's correct. Once again Mormonism is an enemy of science and societal progress, which, once again, will route Mormonism. Celtics v. Div. IA HS team. Dunk fest.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:38 AM   #43
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
That's correct. Once again Mormonism is an enemy of science and societal progress, which, once again, will route Mormonism. Celtics v. Div. IA HS team. Dunk fest.
Link?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:10 AM   #44
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Civil unions are here to stay

And when the bill proposing them was in the California State Legislature, the Church said and did nothing. Draw your own conclusions.

The current debate in California is really over what "marriage" means, because registered domestic partners have all the rights of married people. That's what I find fascinating about this -- the entire bruising battle is over the meaning of a word: marriage. It not about whether same-sex couples can be together and enjoy all the benefits of marriage. That has been decided.

(Disclosure: I am part of the Prop 8 grass roots heirarchy, with responsibility for supervising the effort in 10 stakes. So I have a dog in this fight.)
Old 08-23-2008, 06:12 AM   #45
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
And when the proposing them was in the California State Legislature, the Church said and did nothing. The current debate in California is really over what "marriage" means, because registered domestic partners have all the rights of married people. That's what I find fascinating about this -- the entire bruising battle is over the meaning of a word: marriage. It not about whether same-sex couples can be together and enjoy all the benefits of marriage.

(Disclosure: I am part of the Prop 8 grass roots heirarchy, with the effort in 10 stakes under my responsibility. So I have a dog in this fight.)
I feel like I've just seen a sasquatch. I can scarcely believe my eyes.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #46
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
And when the bill proposing them was in the California State Legislature, the Church said and did nothing. Draw your own conclusions.

The current debate in California is really over what "marriage" means, because registered domestic partners have all the rights of married people. That's what I find fascinating about this -- the entire bruising battle is over the meaning of a word: marriage. It not about whether same-sex couples can be together and enjoy all the benefits of marriage. That has been decided.

(Disclosure: I am part of the Prop 8 grass roots heirarchy, with responsibility for supervising the effort in 10 stakes. So I have a dog in this fight.)
Then it really is about a word. Good luck with your efforts.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #47
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Core question for you........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think this is pretty accurate. The church is anti-homosexuals.

They ask us to love homosexuals, but to hate everything about them that has to do with their desire for intimacy, love, and physical affection (even hugging and kissing are abhorred and punishable). In other words, the very thing that some would argues makes us human, they ask us to hate in homosexuals.

Of course, they don't say this outright. They just wink and try to get everyone on the same page.
Does God believe in what is stated in the Proclamation on the Family, marriage between man and woman is ordained of Him, or not?

Answer that simple question and you'll see why the Church just might be against homo marriage.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #48
LA Ute

Default Hey, Seattle!

I am delighted to see you here - a guy who loves a good argument.

I think you make an enormous assumption when you suggest that "science and societal progress" favor same-sex marriage. Do you see that?
Old 08-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #49
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think this is pretty accurate. The church is anti-homosexuals.

They ask us to love homosexuals, but to hate everything about them that has to do with their desire for intimacy, love, and physical affection (even hugging and kissing are abhorred and punishable). In other words, the very thing that some would argues makes us human, they ask us to hate in homosexuals.
Mike, you're an idiot. Can you show me where the church has asked us to "hate" anything about homosexuals?

Of course, you won't find anything - it's much easier to simply exaggerate the church's position and run your mouth.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #50
LA Ute

Talking But I am real . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I feel like I've just seen a sasquatch. I can scarcely believe my eyes.
Hey, Dan, that works both ways. I kinda wondered where you had disappeared to as well! I also kinda forgot about this board. It seems a lot like the Ute board once was.