cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2008, 11:12 PM   #41
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
My problem with the whole thing...(as a resident Californian)

I don't really care if gay people get married. I don't see how it is going to affect my family or harm my children. So far they are both straight. They are going to marry young men that are straight. And they will have kids.

How does two guys having sex and having a piece of paper on the wall harm us? They aren't going to be doing it with me, my wife, or my daughters.

Secondly...

I don't like sitting in PEC on Sunday and having a member of the Stake Presidency giving us a piece of paper from www.protectfamily.com and asking us to give of our means what we can. From as little as 50 to as much as 5K. You can also give more or less with the "other" section.

The paper asks for Stake and Ward information also when you donate so the church can see how much money is coming from where.

Then they spend 10 minutes in Sacrament meeting talking about it over the pulpit and asking the ward members to please give what they can to the cause.

I am not giving a dime...at the same time I am not going to bust anyones balls if they do.
We're getting the pitch next week. Not sure how I am going to react. I have decided to wait and see what they say.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #42
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Your entire expose relies on alternatively narrow or broad definitions of words--whichever suits your purpose--in order to make sense. However carefully worded, the Proclamation is not a legal document. Applying legal hairsplitting truly bastardizes the clear intent of what they were trying to say.
I guess that depends on how you view it. Is each and every word of the Proclamation inspired? If so, shouldn't we scrutinize each and every word? Or is the general sentiment inspired but not the exact wording? If the latter, shouldn't we still scrutinize each word to attempt to divine its meaning?

Either way, it seems prudent to scrutinize each word. We do it with the scriptures all the time. Take any of the countless General Conference addresses that focus on a narrow reading of one scripture as an example.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #43
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My problem with the whole thing...(as a resident Californian)

I don't really care if gay people get married. I don't see how it is going to affect my family or harm my children. So far they are both straight. They are going to marry young men that are straight. And they will have kids.

How does two guys having sex and having a piece of paper on the wall harm us? They aren't going to be doing it with me, my wife, or my daughters.
Good post. I agree with this. Gay people having a piece of paper on the wall does not hurt marriages or families at all.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:16 AM   #44
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
Good post. I agree with this. Gay people having a piece of paper on the wall does not hurt marriages or families at all.
Not to totally sidetrack this discussion (because I think it's been hashed elsewhere), but I believe society has an interest in expecting certain standards of itself.

That a specific behavior doesn't overtly harm a given individual is not in itself sufficient reason to allow it. Just my 2 cents.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:42 AM   #45
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Quote:
Not to totally sidetrack this discussion (because I think it's been hashed elsewhere), but I believe society has an interest in expecting certain standards of itself.

That a specific behavior doesn't overtly harm a given individual is not in itself sufficient reason to allow it. Just my 2 cents.
Let me go Mike Waters on you here for a second...

I can't explain why I don't think it is harmful, can you explain to me why it is?

I haven't seen anything that moves me from my position.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:53 AM   #46
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I can't explain why I don't think it is harmful, can you explain to me why it is?

Let me add to your questions by requesting that readers provide a compelling and logical argument in favor of the amendment that is not based on religious grounds. The few attempts I've seen, including the execrable "Ten Reasons to Protect California's Marriage Law with a Constitutional Amendment," haven't been persuasive at all.

http://www.familyleader.info/archive...0ReasonsCA.pdf

Can't we do better than that?
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 AM   #47
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Let me add to your questions by requesting that readers provide a compelling and logical argument in favor of the amendment that is not based on religious grounds. The few attempts I've seen, including the execrable "Ten Reasons to Protect California's Marriage Law with a Constitutional Amendment," haven't been persuasive at all.

Wow, those reasons are shockingly awful.....or at least inartfully expressed.

I love reason #1: Children need fathers.

Really, well then, here kids.....have two!

By the time we get around to reasons #7-10, we are basically scaremongering.....protect democracy! protect our lives! sustain our very existence!

Yes folks, if gays get married, procreation will cease altogether.

I am surprised that there was no mention of terrorists or 9/11 in that pamphlet.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #48
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

Yikes, that is bad.

Ironically, reason #4 seems to me like a reason to support gay marriage.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 AM   #49
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Which is why I would rather live on an island ruled by Barney Frank and Gloria Allred.
I wish the three of you would get on with it and go there.

Quote:

I think homosexuality is a destructive, deviant behavior (note: I'm making a distinction between the attraction and the behavior) and I believe society has an interest in not normalizing it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:53 AM   #50
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I wish the three of you would get on with it and go there.
I bet you do... 3 lonely men, on an island you could visit... your ideas for a bar of soap factory finally finding a purpose...

Quote:
I think homosexuality is a destructive, deviant behavior (note: I'm making a distinction between the attraction and the behavior) and I believe society has an interest in not normalizing it.
So if homosexuality is normalized without legalizing gay marriage, is there any reason to prevent gay marriage after such normalization?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote