cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #41
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
In my mind, it is more that the gay community is more active and therefore cause politicians to react to their activism, couple that with the popular media sharing the perspectives of the gay activist groups and you'll see laws enacted accordingly. The ignorant masses often just sit on their hands and might not care.
More active and committed than the Christian right? You're deluded. Look who's been president and controlling Congress the past eight years.

Archaea, you've always had a hard time with this issue. I'm glad your rhetoric on it has become more civil, albeit no less misguided and guided by prejudices.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #42
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
So you are saying that you are physically capable of becoming sexually aroused by and attracted to men if you simply put your mind to it? This seems unlikely.
I would have to want to change, and I don't.

Have you ever forced yourself to continue eating food you just hate? Over time, you can acquire taste for it, don't you think?

Frankly, I am unaware how much volition can affect sexuality, but to dismiss it out of hand seems irresponsible.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #43
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I still don't think you have explained what "choice" means to you.

What does it mean to say homosexuality is a choice? Do you mean there are no factors at play other than our own decision? If so, I disagree. Do you mean biology doesn't mean anything? I disagree. Do you mean choice as a result of sexual abuse? I don't call that choice. Just trying to figure out what you are talking about here.
I have been very clear. Choice is a significant factor in the equation as outlined by SIEQ's quoted post. However in the context of Seattles poll that lacks nuance I must choose 'choice' as the reason.

IMO It is NOT purely genetics or choice but rather a combination of many factors. Seatlles poll does not permit a broader declaration.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #44
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Abusers don't just happen they are created. Ergo the heterosexual commiting the abuse was in fact a victim of abuse in his/her childhood.
How could you conclude that? Logically, it can't be true that all abusers were abused. Otherwise, there wouldn't have ever been a first abuser.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #45
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Tooblue, I have a question for you. And I mean this with all due respect and sensitivity. You seem to want us to accept at face value your opinion on the "is being gay a choice?" issue simply because of your traumatic childhood experience, and without really elicudating for us the relevancy (indeed, you are a heterosexual). Why, on the same principal, do you dismiss out of hand the personal testimony of the vast majority of if not virtually all gays? It's their testament above all else that persuades me.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #46
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I would have to want to change, and I don't.

Have you ever forced yourself to continue eating food you just hate? Over time, you can acquire taste for it, don't you think?

Frankly, I am unaware how much volition can affect sexuality, but to dismiss it out of hand seems irresponsible.
I served in Bolivia, so I know all about developing a taste for awful food.

Ultimately, isn't the issue whether homosexuality is 100% volition? If there is even 5% of it that is beyond our "control," then I feel that it is unfair to disallow marriage and pursuit of happiness.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #47
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
More active and committed than the Christian right? You're deluded. Look who's been president and controlling Congress the past eight years.

Archaea, you've always had a hard time with this issue. I'm glad your rhetoric on it has become more civil, albeit no less misguided and guided by prejudices.
Now, you're just engaging in rhetorical devices.

We have two somewhat prominent issue groups, and you merely point to them and say, "how can you accuse gays of being more vigilant than bible thumpers?"

However, bible thumpers have many issues whereas gays have fewer.

BTs worry about abortion, creationism, prayer, drugs and gay marriage.

For gay activists their entire world involves predominantly gay issues, not ancillary issues to divert their attentions and resources.

Your argumentation is not compelling and may not show up on a correlative study, though you may try to use it in a moot court competition.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #48
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Abusers don't just happen they are created. Ergo the heterosexual commiting the abuse was in fact a victim of abuse in his/her childhood.
Indeed. I would add that 99% of the child abuse cases involve a family member or boyfriend.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #49
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
How could you conclude that? Logically, it can't be true that all abusers were abused. Otherwise, there wouldn't have ever been a first abuser.
It is a fact Cali. And it is not just me who has come to that conclusion. Every therapist I have ever met concurs based upon the many hours of therapy they have participated in and the research.

That does not mean that pedophiles are created. There is a clear distinction between a victim of abuse and a genetically compelled predator. That is why it is reprehensible to compare a homosexual to a pedophile.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #50
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I served in Bolivia, so I know all about developing a taste for awful food.

Ultimately, isn't the issue whether homosexuality is 100% volition? If there is even 5% of it that is beyond our "control," then I feel that it is unfair to disallow marriage and pursuit of happiness.
Marriage equals the pursuit of happiness? Since when. It equals the pursuit of consistent sex, companionship and friendship.

Doesn't society have the right to determine what it considers marriage and what it doesn't consider marriage?

The policy argument that society should include within its definitions as two same sex people as married benefits society how? We've been down this road and I've never been too impressed as they are basically emotionally arguments.