cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2008, 02:45 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interesting blog on Mormon treatment of grace

http://www.bycommonconsent.com/2008/...-2-nephi-2523/
Old 01-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
aaronshaf

aaronshaf is on a distinguished road

I've been working on this article for a little while now:

http://www.mrm.org/topics/salvation/...sage-salvation

(It's still a working draft)

Anyways, given my research, I was pretty happy to see a Mormon blogger publicly dealing with the two main interpretations of the passage.
aaronshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I've commented on this scripture several times.

I obviously take interpretation #2. I disagree that it is awkward or strained or a clever manipulation. It seems a very natural interpretation, and I think it fits just fine with the rest of Nephi's sermon, rest of BoM, and Mormon doctrine.

Comment #7 represents how I see it.

Quote:
There is a common linguistic technique that can clarify lots of statements that use parenthetical comments (including those that are written with commas) - simply switching the phrases and adding the appropriate qualifiers. Often the shorter version is used when the author wants to say it as concisely as possible - which fits Nephi’s oft-stated space constraints.
Switching the phrases in 2 Nehpi 25:23 gives us:
“After all we can do, we know that it is by grace that we are saved.” Adding appropriate qualifiers makes it, “(Even) after all we can do, we know that it (still) is by grace that we are saved.” This final construct is a perfectly reasonable reading of the original - not the only possibility, but certainly a reasonable one.
That fits Mormon theology perfectly, since it says that even though we are required to exert our all, that effort doesn’t save us without God’s grace. That message is repeated over and over and over again in the rest of the Book of Mormon, including Nephi’s other words.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

While I appreciate his well thought-out comments, I suppose my simplistic mind just took it for granted that Nephi was speaking semi-rhetorically. Based on the volume of discussion of Christ's atonement in the Book of Mormon (to say nothing of Benjamin's speech as noted), and the body of commentary by latter-day prophets, it seems foolish to me to read that isolated passage and assume that salvation is works with a little grace sprinkled on top. Likewise it seems presumptuous that we mortals could possibly believe we could derive a formula for salvation from that one verse, assigning grace and works their proper proportions. As Maxwell noted, "We can't do the math because we don't have all the variables."

But if I had a dollar for everytime a born-again got in my face about the word "all" in "all we can do", I'd be a rich man indeed. Damn literalists.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 01-23-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

I'll admit to not reading it very carefully, but mostly because I didn't like it. The author seems very bright and should be applauded for talking the text seriously. However, I think he imputes a theological precision to the text that I just don't thing is warranted. The Book of Mormon is not a formal theological treatise or an exploration of systematic theology (in my view that author treats it as something like this throughout). I think the most one would want to conclude from a single sentence like that is that Nephi (and the church) believes that an aspect of grace is compensatory. Which is hardly problematic and not the only way that grace is talked about in the Book of Mormon. Grace, for example, is transformative in Ether 12:6.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:43 AM   #6
aaronshaf

aaronshaf is on a distinguished road

Remember, it has been correlated literature and Mormon authorities from the General Conference pulpit who have promoted the first interpretation. It'd be unfair to pin the first interpretation on those "damn born again literalists".
aaronshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:53 AM   #7
Archaea

I agree with Pelagius as to canon. Historically I haven't viewed any scripture, be it the First Testament or the Second Testament or any LDS scripture as legalistically precise.

Theologians may agonize over religious pronouncements as if precision were intended, but I see no reason to interpret them thusly.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post
Remember, it has been correlated literature and Mormon authorities from the General Conference pulpit who have promoted the first interpretation. It'd be unfair to pin the first interpretation on those "damn born again literalists".
I think Mormons would have to agree, even those for interpretation #2, that church leaders have interpreted it the first way.

But when it comes to grace/works LDS prophets and apostles make it clear that both are necessary. So does Book of Mormon. So does Bible. And Evangelicals agree.

I see the LDS doctrine on grace/works evolving a little and going more towards the Book of Mormon teachings which are more grace centered. It's not fair for Evangelicals to beat us up on the "Mormons believe they work their way to heaven" argument--it's just simply not the case.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:55 AM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I think Mormons would have to agree, even those for interpretation #2, that church leaders have interpreted it the first way.

But when it comes to grace/works LDS prophets and apostles make it clear that both are necessary. So does Book of Mormon. So does Bible. And Evangelicals agree.

I see the LDS doctrine on grace/works evolving a little and going more towards the Book of Mormon teachings which are more grace centered. It's not fair for Evangelicals to beat us up on the "Mormons believe they work their way to heaven" argument--it's just simply not the case.
In the war and competition for members, i.e., paying customers, when was fairness ever an issue?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:20 AM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post
Oh, it's plenty fair. Those damn literalists are not in our scriptures altruistically, thanks.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote