cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
From what I understand, when the earth was created, all of the continents were pieced together and what is currently Jackson County, Missouri, was in the center, and it housed the garden of Eden. Then during the days of Peleg (Genesis) the earth was divided into continents. Then during the flood (Genesis), Noah's ark rode the waters and landed somewhere in present-day Turkey. From that point on, biblical geography became heavily populated in the Middle East.

Then in the days of Jared (Tower of Babel - Genesis), some people sailed to the Americas including present-day Missouri, and later in the days of Jeremiah (New Testament) more people sailed to the Americas and filled the continent (Book of Mormon). Sometime in the fifth century AD, nearly all of the people inhabiting Missouri and the Americas were killed in wars and plagues.

When Christ returns and cleanses the earth, he will direct his people to build a new temple at the site where it all began: the garden of Eden.
What a lovely summary. It all makes perfect sense! But seriously, no it doesn't. None of that ever happened. I do wonder about the Missouri thing. Was that doctrine introduced while they were still somewhat happy there or was it as they were starting to be kicked out?

As for the SLC thing, it may have been just good luck, but it actually worked out really well. It was important for the church to be able to grow and establish itself without having anybody else around, who tend to get very annoyed when being told they're going to hell, etc. If they had kept going to the coast, they'd have had an easier time for a bit, but would have been surrounded by people in short order. BY actually handled that one pretty well.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
What a lovely summary. It all makes perfect sense! But seriously, no it doesn't. None of that ever happened. I do wonder about the Missouri thing. Was that doctrine introduced while they were still somewhat happy there or was it as they were starting to be kicked out?

As for the SLC thing, it may have been just good luck, but it actually worked out really well. It was important for the church to be able to grow and establish itself without having anybody else around, who tend to get very annoyed when being told they're going to hell, etc. If they had kept going to the coast, they'd have had an easier time for a bit, but would have been surrounded by people in short order. BY actually handled that one pretty well.
Just curious. Do you mean, in your opinion none of this ever happened?
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #13
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Just curious. Do you mean, in your opinion none of this ever happened?
Why, were you offended? Fine. It is my opinion that 2 + 2 = 4, for standard values of 2 and 4. Your math teachers must have loved you.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:28 PM   #14
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Why, were you offended? Fine. It is my opinion that 2 + 2 = 4, for standard values of 2 and 4. Your math teachers must have loved you.

No, I wasn't offended at all. I was curious as to whether you were making the statement as a matter of fact statement or an opinion statement.

My math teachers did love me by the way, it was my best subject.

Religion wasn't my best because some people wanted to act like they knew something for sure, when I realized they had no way of knowing for sure.

They would say something like, the garden of eden was in Missouri. I would say is that your opinion or are you stating it as fact. They then would say something about 2+2 is 4 and how does my math teacher like me.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #15
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
No, I wasn't offended at all. I was curious as to whether you were making the statement as a matter of fact statement or an opinion statement.

My math teachers did love me by the way, it was my best subject.

Religion wasn't my best because some people wanted to act like they knew something for sure, when I realized they had no way of knowing for sure.

They would say something like, the garden of eden was in Missouri. I would say is that your opinion or are you stating it as fact. They then would say something about 2+2 is 4 and how does my math teacher like me.
I'm sorry, have we not met? I'm woot, and I'm not religious. Stating that the garden of Eden was not in Missouri is not religious. It is obvious fact based several independent disciplines. First, the garden of eden is part of a metaphorical (or "false" if that's too presumptuous) creation myth, and never actually existed. We know this in various ways which have been discussed extensively on this forum. Therefore, we know it wasn't in Missouri since it wasn't anywhere. Second, plate tectonics is a well-established scientific theory, and we have a pretty good idea of when Pangaea existed. It wasn't during the time of "Peleg" or any other human. Therefore, even if we pretend that the garden of eden existed, it couldn't have been in Missouri.

When scientific principles are occasionally instructive concerning religious matters, they don't temporarily become opinions for the duration of the religious conversation.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #16
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
What's your address? I know a couple nice young men in your area who would love to visit with you in your home.
Which bring up yet another question: What's your cut-off age for the babies you eat? I've got a one year old that I'm kind of fond of which that might constrain my ability to entertain your sales staff.
landpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #17
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm sorry, have we not met? I'm woot, and I'm not religious. Stating that the garden of Eden was not in Missouri is not religious. It is obvious fact based several independent disciplines. First, the garden of eden is part of a metaphorical (or "false" if that's too presumptuous) creation myth, and never actually existed. We know this in various ways which have been discussed extensively on this forum. Therefore, we know it wasn't in Missouri since it wasn't anywhere. Second, plate tectonics is a well-established scientific theory, and we have a pretty good idea of when Pangaea existed. It wasn't during the time of "Peleg" or any other human. Therefore, even if we pretend that the garden of eden existed, it couldn't have been in Missouri.

When scientific principles are occasionally instructive concerning religious matters, they don't temporarily become opinions for the duration of the religious conversation.
But of course you have ZERO evidence to support your statements -and no more than any old religious idiot does
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:46 PM   #18
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
But of course you have ZERO evidence to support your statements -and no more than any old religious idiot does
So there wasn't a giant land mass during the Paleozoic and Mesozoic eras about 250 million years ago?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #19
woot

Quote:
If it makes you feel good to think that, so be it, but I doubt that even you are that dishonest as to actually believe that.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #20
woot

Quote:
So there wasn't a giant land mass during the Paleozoic and Mesozoic eras about 250 million years ago?
That sounds about right. What's your point? That god planted Adam and Eve in Missouri 250 million years ago, which was probably about the time that the first mammals began appearing? Did they just not reproduce and somehow avoided being killed for the next 249.85 million years until they finally started reproducing? Surely not even you are capable of believing that.

Why do you care about what science thinks about pangaea? That conclusion is based on all that icky "evidence" stuff. Not really your thing, eh?

Last edited by woot; 12-21-2007 at 06:54 PM.