cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 10:13 PM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Waah, waah. Look, SOoner starts the thread with a seed spilling and you expect everyone to get into the mood of disturbed nights and spiritual anguish? I like your selections, but you're the one that chose to be srious in a thread started in this manner.

Start your own thread and then complain.
Waters has tried and tried to make this forum like the Celestial Room, and failed. It's sad.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:23 PM   #22
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Waters has tried and tried to make this forum like the Celestial Room, and failed. It's sad.
I am sure he very much apprecaites your earnest support.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #23
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I like where the she bear kills the kids for making fun of the bald prophet. That'll teach them. Now if I could get a bear to do that to the mkiscreants that walk on my grass, I would truly be happy.
2 Kings 2.23-24

23 ¶ And he went up from thence unto Beth-el: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #24
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I call BS.
I think SU was serious. Remember that interesting article he posted on the Psalms a couple of weeks ago?
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #25
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]What's your favorite Old Testament moment?
This semi-creepy story (KJV):

20 ¶ And Elisha died, and they buried him. And the bands of the Moabites invaded the land at the coming in of the year.
21 And it came to pass, as they were burying a man, that, behold, they spied a band of men; and they cast the man into the sepulchre of Elisha: and when the man was let down, and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood up on his feet.

Smacks of witchcraft, but the redactionists seem to have missed this one.

Also, anything that mentions Asherah, the name of the consort of El and/or Jehovah.

E.g. 2 Kings 21.7: And he set a graven image of the grove that he had made in the house, of which the LORD said to David, and to Solomon his son, In this house, and in Jerusalem, which I have chosen out of all tribes of Israel, will I put my name for ever:

[grove = Asherah in Hebrew]
Old 10-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #26
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Psalm 22:

My God, my God, why have You forsaken me

Far from my rescue are the words that I roar.

My God, I call out by day and You do not answer,

by night—no stillness for me.
Awesome. I'm adding this one to my list too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/QUOTE]
Old 10-24-2007, 10:49 PM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
2 Kings 2.23-24

23 ¶ And he went up from thence unto Beth-el: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
That's the one. I recall the NSRV oxford had some explanatory note but it is still an odd and amusing story.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:51 PM   #28
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I think SU was serious. Remember that interesting article he posted on the Psalms a couple of weeks ago?
I was serious. The OT is one of my favorite all-time books as I've posted here before. The best part about these funny, quirky little passages is that they remind us the Old Testament is a genuine artifact of an ancient tribal people. The Hebrews developed written language primarily from the process of reducing the OT to writing. The OT is a wonderful book, and as Harold Bloom has noted, as a literary work the NT is hardly in the same class.

—Paul Auster
Old 10-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #29
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
This semi-creepy story (KJV):

20 ¶ And Elisha died, and they buried him. And the bands of the Moabites invaded the land at the coming in of the year.
21 And it came to pass, as they were burying a man, that, behold, they spied a band of men; and they cast the man into the sepulchre of Elisha: and when the man was let down, and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood up on his feet.

Smacks of witchcraft, but the redactionists seem to have missed this one.

Also, anything that mentions Asherah, the name of the consort of El and/or Jehovah.

E.g. 2 Kings 21.7: And he set a graven image of the grove that he had made in the house, of which the LORD said to David, and to Solomon his son, In this house, and in Jerusalem, which I have chosen out of all tribes of Israel, will I put my name for ever:

[grove = Asherah in Hebrew]
Ah, but the creepiest has got to be this one:

30: And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar: and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters.
31: And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:
32: Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.
33: And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
34: And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our Father.
35: And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
36: Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.
37: And the firstborn bare a son, and called his name Moab: the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day.
38: And the younger, she also bare a son, and called his name Benammi: the same is the father of the children of Ammon unto this day.

—Paul Auster
Old 10-24-2007, 11:15 PM   #30
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I like when Saul tells David that instead of a dowry for his daughter, David has to return with a hundred Philistine foreskins. I've always wondered what Saul did with those foreskins. I'm not much for arts and crafts, but I'm guessing with a hundred foreskins you could make something pretty cool.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote