cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #71
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Not unless my wife was onboard with it. I'd still be committed to my family even if I was no longer committed to my faith.
agreed

now if I left the church and was still single.....well then
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:00 PM   #72
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Most of us can only dream of having entire threads devoted to us. We have unwittingly made SU a franchise.
Happens to me all the time.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #73
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I think one of the main things that destroys people's testimonies is they put too much weight on everything the brethren say and do. Many of the early leaders went overboard trying to "reveal all things" and made many errors. Many people simply assumed that since those men were ordained to govern, God would hold their tongues from uttering any inaccuracies. Afterwards, when these speculations of man became criticized and perceived infallibilities were exposed, testimonies shook. Add the suffering of mankind to the mix, and suddenly the whole God concept appears cruel.

I personally believe that it is NOT God's plan for the brethren or the local leaders to have all of the answers, and provide the population with a step-by-step rulebook. Rather, as people experience the cruelties and disappointments of life, along with the goodness that lies therein, it is who they become through their own experiences and choices that ultimately brings religion into their very soul. So maybe the Church President got that one wrong. Get over it. So maybe your local leader gave you some bad advice. Get over it. Do what you know is right.

Last edited by ute4ever; 06-11-2008 at 05:11 PM.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote