cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yes we all knew about it, but didn't want to discuss it here for fear that SU might take a vacation to NM and attempt to destroy it.
LOL!
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The Wikipedia article is more complete. I'd say it looks fishy partly but not wholly because the Mark Hoffman of the Nineteenth Century is the one who found it. I'm open to further proofs however that the New Mexico badlands were Nephi's stomping grounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Lunas_Decalogue_Stone

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The Wikipedia article is more complete. I'd say it looks fishy partly but not wholly because the Mark Hoffman of the Nineteenth Century is the one who found it. I'm open to further proofs however that the New Mexico badlands were Nephi's stomping grounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Lunas_Decalogue_Stone
I'm sorry I meant the Mark Hoffman of the early twentieth century. Wiki doesn't address the the purported gap between its alleged discovery in 1880 by a "guide" who first showed it to Hibben, and Hibben first revealing it to the public in 1933. This gap in the chain of custody is significant because suposedly the paleo Hebrew script wasn't known about in 1880 but was apparently in 1933.

The other thing is that if those straw graspers at FARMS haven't done a paper on this, well, that speaks for itself.

The funny thing about people who try to rely on stuff like this is that they tacitly admit there ought to be stuff like this including bones of horses, wheels, bronze, etc. being dug up if the Book of Mormon were a historical document, only a lot more of it than an occasional boulder with the 10 commandments inscripted on it in pleo-Hebrew discovered by a known fraudster.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #14
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
I'm sorry I meant the Mark Hoffman of the early twentieth century. Wiki doesn't address the the purported gap between its alleged discovery in 1880 by a "guide" who first showed it to Hibben, and Hibben first revealing it to the public in 1933. This gap in the chain of custody is significant because suposedly the paleo Hebrew script wasn't known about in 1880 but was apparently in 1933.

The other thing is that if those straw graspers at FARMS haven't done a paper on this, well, that speaks for itself.

The funny thing about people who try to rely on stuff like this is that they tacitly admit there ought to be stuff like this including bones of horses, wheels, bronze, etc. being dug up if the Book of Mormon were a historical document, only a lot more of it than an occasional boulder with the 10 commandments inscripted on it in pleo-Hebrew discovered by a known fraudster.

Have you been reading about this all day in some kind of attempt to prove the church isn't true? Who wrote the Wiki article?
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #15
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Have you been reading about this all day in some kind of attempt to prove the church isn't true? Who wrote the Wiki article?
I scanned the Wiki article. There are also numerous articles on the internet that discuss his known frauds. I scanned the titles. Punch in "Frank Hibben"+fruad. This may have taken you all day but it took me five minutes. Chalk this big rock up to being in the same category as crop circles only probably not as elegant or sophisticated.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #16
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
I scanned the Wiki article. There are also numerous articles on the internet that discuss his known frauds. I scanned the titles. Punch in "Frank Hibben"+fruad. This may have taken you all day but it took me five minutes. Chalk this big rock up to being in the same category as crop circles only probably not as elegant or sophisticated.
I would take the time to punch it in, but I have better things to do with my time...okay, I don't, but I'm still not going to.

You have conclusive evidence that crop circles are a fraud? Why don't you share that. It sounds a whole lot more interesting.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #17
SeattleUte

Why people engage in massive and sophisticated literary and other academic and archological fraud even at great personal risk is beyond me. But it's gone on for thousands of years. It's a facinating subject. Here's one of my favorite examples, and I'll have to say this story reminds me so much of JS, including a history of ancient peoples and evil Romans annihilating good Etruscans found in a hillside by his house, etc. He even did JS one better and produced the original artifacts written in an alleged ancient script! Many people to this day don't regard him as a fraud. But I think the evidence against JS and against this fellow is comparable. So, people are funny. This fellow didn't start a religion but it was close to it because his findings were of enormous cultural significance to Italians in Tuscany and caused a crisis in Rennaisance Rome. If you can't read the whole linked article and you're interested in doing so let me know and I'll see what I can do to get you the whole article.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17754

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 06-13-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:03 PM   #18
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Why people engage in massive and sophisticated literary and other academic and archological fraud even at great personal risk is beyond me. But it's gone on for thousands of years. It's a facinating subject. Here's one of my favorite examples, and I'll have to say this story reminds me so much of JS, including a history of ancient peoples and evil Romans annihilating good Etruscans found in a hillside by his house, etc. He even did JS one better and produced the original artifacts written in an alleged ancient script! Many people to this day don't regard him as a fraud. But I think the evidence against JS and against this fellow is comparable. So, people are funny. This fellow didn't start a religion but it was close to it because his findings were of enormous cultural significance to Italians in Tuscany and caused a crisis in Rennaisance Rome. If you can't read the whole linked article and you're interested in doing so let me know and I'll see what I can do to get you the whole article.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17754
Spare me. What does that have to do with crop circles?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:08 PM   #19
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Spare me. What does that have to do with crop circles?
LOL. Touche.

—Paul Auster