cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 02:48 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm about 80 pages in and I am kind of bored.

So far I could have gotten the main points in two pages.

"A lot of errors occurred during transcription over the 1500 years after they were written."

I'm hoping that there is going to be some intrigue and mystery later on.
You didn't like the John Mill/Bentley stuff?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #22
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I am only about 65 pages into the book. SO far, the book is a little frustrating becasue it promises much but delivers in only a very conclusory way. It is also very repetitive. I think the probolem is that, like many LDS, I fall in between Ehrman's two typical audiences. Becasue LDS tend to be very familiar with scripture, and with the idea that the bible texts are not original, the thought that thye may be corrupted is just not that intriguing nor is it somethign we need to get used to. He seems to spend a lot of time getting the reader used to this idea. This makes it a little bland for me and, I suspect, most LDS. OTOH, neither I nor most LDS typically study the bible in a scholarly way and so my guess is Ehrmann's more scholarly treatisies would go right over my head.

I did enjoy the explanation of the curses put at the end of texts to discourage scribes from varying the writtem word when copying.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #23
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I am only about 65 pages into the book. SO far, the book is a little frustrating becasue it promises much but delivers in only a very conclusory way. It is also very repetitive. I think the probolem is that, like many LDS, I fall in between Ehrman's two typical audiences. Becasue LDS tend to be very familiar with scripture, and with the idea that the bible texts are not original, the thought that thye may be corrupted is just not that intriguing nor is it somethign we need to get used to. He seems to spend a lot of time getting the reader used to this idea. This makes it a little bland for me and, I suspect, most LDS. OTOH, neither I nor most LDS typically study the bible in a scholarly way and so my guess is Ehrmann's more scholarly treatisies would go right over my head.

I did enjoy the explanation of the curses put at the end of texts to discourage scribes from varying the writtem word when copying.
That was a nice touch.

The discussion of Erasmus is nice as well. I'm awaiting my order of Orthodox Corruption of Scripture, but my Greek grammar book just arrived. They failed to deliver my dictionary though.

It is a quick read, but he spends too much time rehearsing the summary of the data. I have bigger expectations for Orthodox Corruption.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #24
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Based on the comments, maybe we should have gone straight to Orthodox Corruption.

I bought his books Lost Christianities and Lost Scriptures (they're intended to be read together), and I'm enjoying those.
I hope I make it to the end. I tend to read half of a book and then get distracted with another, but I'd really like to make it through both of these.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #25
Archaea

Well, CHC and pelagius didn't warn us it was so dumbed down. It's their fault.

I agree we should have gone with Orthodox Corruption. Do you as a former librarian get any discounts that can be passed on?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:59 AM   #26
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Mrs. Meanie checked it out for me at the library today. I just read the introdcution before bed.

I find his personal story in the introduction interesting; however, like Creekster already said, most Mormons don't really believe the Bible is the inerrant word of God anyway so that's nothing really new.

I had to look up the word exegesis in the dictionary:

exegesis: exposition; explanation; especially, a critical explanation of a text.

I'm interested to learn more about textual criticism because I don't know much about that topic at all.

As a side thought, why is it that Misquoting Jesus would generally be considered interesting and scholarly by your typical Mormon but something along the lines of "Misquoting Moroni" would be considered "anti" and to be avoided?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:27 AM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
As a side thought, why is it that Misquoting Jesus would generally be considered interesting and scholarly by your typical Mormon but something along the lines of "Misquoting Moroni" would be considered "anti" and to be avoided?
Good question. Perhaps the persecution complex rearing it's head?

To be honest, I don't think your run-of-the-mill Mormon would even read Misquoting Jesus. Folks here for the most part are a bit more open to ideas not in the mainstream.

I plan on getting a copy of it soon. Is there a CliffsNotes version of it?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #28
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Good question. Perhaps the persecution complex rearing it's head?

To be honest, I don't think your run-of-the-mill Mormon would even read Misquoting Jesus. Folks here for the most part are a bit more open to ideas not in the mainstream.

I plan on getting a copy of it soon. Is there a CliffsNotes version of it?
It is the CilffsNotes version of his earlier scholarly works.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #29
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Just got mine two days ago. Hopefully I will be ready to talk about it Monday.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #30
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Got my paperback version yesterday in the mail.