cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 02:43 AM   #11
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
How many threads back was the polyandry discussion?

There is no evidence that Joseph ever had sex with wives that were currently married to other husbands. The topic was discussed ad nauseum a while back.
Can you prove that you have ever had sex with your wife? Unless you have a paternity test for all of your children, you don't have 'proof.'

MARRIAGE is evidence that JS had sex with his wives. Where is the evidence that suggests he DIDN'T have sex with these women.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:10 AM   #12
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Quote:

There is no evidence that Joseph ever had sex with wives that were currently married to other husbands. The topic was discussed ad nauseum a while back.
Can you prove that you have ever had sex with your wife? Unless you have a paternity test for all of your children, you don't have 'proof.'

MARRIAGE is evidence that JS had sex with his wives. Where is the evidence that suggests he DIDN'T have sex with these women.
If you even had the vaguest idea of what you were talking about it would make your posts a lot more intresting. As it is, you sound like those random anti-mormon pamplets that don't take the time to find out if what they are saying are true.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:29 AM   #13
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkili
Quote:
Quote:

If you even had the vaguest idea of what you were talking about it would make your posts a lot more intresting. As it is, you sound like those random anti-mormon pamplets that don't take the time to find out if what they are saying are true.
Educate me.

How do you know they were NOT having sex? Why does the iissue bother you? If Joseph was commanded by God to have sex with another man's wife, then so be it. Who are you to question God's authority on the matter?
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #14
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Robin,

Neither of you can prove it.

Doesn't make either of you right.

No fishing allowed on Mondays....
Old 04-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #15
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Educate me.

How do you know they were NOT having sex? Why does the iissue bother you? If Joseph was commanded by God to have sex with another man's wife, then so be it. Who are you to question God's authority on the matter?
Why would I waste my time trying to argue with someone who already thinks he has all of the answers when he doesn't even know what the questions are.

It doesn't bother me because I've found my peace with the issue. I just thought it was funny how anti-mormon you were sounding.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #16
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Quote:

The two strongest pieces of evidence are:

1. The wives continued living with their husbands.
2. The husbands were most likely unaware of the marriage.

In other words, it appeared as though life continued on as normal. Furthermore, Joseph did not try to justify polyandric relations in any of his teachings (D&C 132). It's not exactly a slam-dunk case, to be sure, but it's two minor bits of evidence against one minor bit of evidence.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #17
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

In other words, it appeared as though life continued on as normal. Furthermore, Joseph did not try to justify polyandric relations in any of his teachings (D&C 132). It's not exactly a slam-dunk case, to be sure, but it's two minor bits of evidence against one minor bit of evidence.
I'd disagree on point #2. While certainly true in some cases, I think the opposite was true in many cases. A quote from Bushman's Rough Stone Rolling: "Not all were married to non-Mormon men : six of the ten husbands were active Latter day Saints. In most cases, the husband knew of the plural marriage and approved. "

Another quote on the subject of this topic from the same book: "There is no certain evidence that Joseph had sexual relations with any of the wives who were married to other men."
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:59 PM   #18
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Quote:

I'd disagree on point #2. While certainly true in some cases, I think the opposite was true in many cases. A quote from Bushman's Rough Stone Rolling: "Not all were married to non-Mormon men : six of the ten husbands were active Latter day Saints. In most cases, the husband knew of the plural marriage and approved. "

Another quote on the subject of this topic from the same book: "There is no certain evidence that Joseph had sexual relations with any of the wives who were married to other men."
I'm sorry, you're right. But the fact that in ANY case, the husband was unaware of what happened, shows that there was not a drastic change of lifestyle in those cases, and suggests that there was not a drastic change of lifestyle in the cases of others.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:17 AM   #19
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Quote:

I'm sorry, you're right. But the fact that in ANY case, the husband was unaware of what happened, shows that there was not a drastic change of lifestyle in those cases, and suggests that there was not a drastic change of lifestyle in the cases of others.
Fact is, we don't know either way and it doesn't really matter. Whether or not he slept with his married wives shouldn't affect our testimonies. If we set ourselves up to believe there's no way that he did sleep with them, we'd be crushed to learn that he did, which is quite possible.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:21 AM   #20
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal
[

Fact is, we don't know either way and it doesn't really matter. Whether or not he slept with his married wives shouldn't affect our testimonies. If we set ourselves up to believe there's no way that he did sleep with them, we'd be crushed to learn that he did, which is quite possible.
You missed the long thread months ago where a bunch of us went over this subject for several weeks. I'm in the "he probably did" camp. I just believe that if he did, then he had permission to do so.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote