cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Video evidence of the final play

It was a foul, but who cares. Watch Trent take the guys head off.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=280570167
Old 02-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Wonder if the classless taunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
It was a foul, but who cares. Watch Trent take the guys head off.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=280570167
by the Lobos may have had an effect on the refs and thus they didn't call it or in real-time, it didn't look as bad as in slo mo. Nevertheless, I'm glad 18,000 fans went home pissed.

Last edited by exUte; 02-27-2008 at 04:08 PM.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I thought it was a foul from the first play. It wasn't as bad as it looked in the replay though - they both went for the ball, the UNM player got his hands on the ball, and Trent ended up hitting the guy's hands.

Since he was extended, and in the air, the foul caused him to land off-balance.

I wouldn't describe it as 'taking his head off'.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default No kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I thought it was a foul from the first play. It wasn't as bad as it looked in the replay though - they both went for the ball, the UNM player got his hands on the ball, and Trent ended up hitting the guy's hands.

Since he was extended, and in the air, the foul caused him to land off-balance.

I wouldn't describe it as 'taking his head off'.
If it was as hard as everyone claims, the guy wouldn't have gotten up and he would have fallen differently than the way he did.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
If it was as hard as everyone claims, the guy wouldn't have gotten up and he would have fallen differently than the way he did.
Agreed. It was just 'tangled up limbs while in mid-air and fighting for a rebound.'

Still, it was a foul, and deserved to be called. We got the benefit of the refs the whole game, IMO...
Old 02-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone ever seen a rebounding foul called with .1 second to go. If the refs hadn't decided to see how much time should be on the clock, it wouldn't have been a big issue.

It became a big issue when while waiting the Mtn showed it over and over again calling it a foul. It was a foul. There were probably a ton of fouls missed both ways during the whole game.

Again, anyone ever see a rebounding foul called with .1 to go.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Has anyone ever seen a rebounding foul called with .1 second to go. If the refs hadn't decided to see how much time should be on the clock, it wouldn't have been a big issue.

It became a big issue when while waiting the Mtn showed it over and over again calling it a foul. It was a foul. There were probably a ton of fouls missed both ways during the whole game.

Not that I can recall off-hand. I don't think it was an egregious no-call, but I think it was definitely a foul.

That's not to say I think UNM deserved to win the game...
Old 02-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

I agree with this. Rarely will you see a foul called under those circumstances. While it was a foul per se, I doubt the foul would have had any impact on the game. It was the right non-call, IMO.

However, I never whine about refs and instantly assume anyone who does is a pussy. So I am pretty biased from the getgo.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

As the board's Active LDS Ute Fan, I feel obligated to report that I've already sent a letter to the Board of Directors at BYU about honesty and sportsmanship. Hopefully, it will reach them before BYU71 is hired as the letter responder.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
As the board's Active LDS Ute Fan, I feel obligated to report that I've already sent a letter to the Board of Directors at BYU about honesty and sportsmanship. Hopefully, it will reach them before BYU71 is hired as the letter responder.
Typical ute fan. More concerned with BYU (in a game completely unrelated to the Utes) than his own team.

If anything, you should be happy about the BYU win - it may help provide better seeding in the conference tourney for you.